2-mic drum setup?

JosephMordrake

Hi!

I was just wondering if a two-mic setup would work for recording pop-rock/pop-punk drums. I would be using a Roswell Mini K47 (overhead) and an Audix D6 (kick).

Also, could I use a stereo imager to add some width to the mono overhead?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Forget the stereo imager, I hate them, and you are trying to stereo a mono signal not widen a stereo signal. Just use the mono drums.

You can record it and a lot of recordings from the 1960's were done just like this. A lot depends on the sound of the room, the sound of the kit and the actual drummer. If what you have is 2 mics then thats what you have.

Have a read.

Alan.

Forget the stereo imager, I hate them, and you are trying to stereo a mono signal not widen a stereo signal. Just use the mono drums.

You can record it and a lot of recordings from the 1960's were done just like this. A lot depends on the sound of the room, the sound of the kit and the actual drummer. If what you have is 2 mics then thats what you have.

Have a read.

Alan.

That is a great article! I just picked up a matched set of condensers for doing the same thing as the OP and your advice was right on time Alan! I have other mics but I was looking for that retro vibe and had no clue how to even start the process.

Back