Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1 man band, recording guitar, then bass, and drumming live?

Thanks

1 man band, recording guitar, then bass, and drumming live?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm assuming a looper pedal would be best for this, but I'm not exactly interested in recording loops. I'd rather record guitar in 1 take, with a full song composition...

So..

Step 1: Record guitar.. guitar 1 + guitar amp = loops the whole guitar composition through the guitar amp
    Step 2: Song starts over, Record bass while guitar piece is playing through guitar amp.. bass + bass amp = loops the whole bass composition through the bass amp

Step 3: By now, the goal is to have the guitar and bass looping through each respective amp, and matched up.. Then, I can play drums live to them

I'm curious if I would just need 2 looper pedals (like the Ditto loopers)?

Thanks..

Thanks
    Would it not just be simpler to record multitrack into a computer with a basic interface? Loopers are great but not really the best tool - as you said, you are not even looping? You have to record into 'something' at some point, so why not just use that?

Thanks
    Well, it's all in my mom's basement, I didn't want it at my house because I have close neighbors, and I didn't want to setup my laptop there and deal with DAW software, as I have none. I might end up actually doing this though...

If there's a simple free DAW of sorts (hm, wondering if Adobe has a product for that, as I'm a CC subscriber), then this might work... though, I have no speakers, just the 2 amps... I suppose the right audio interface could take the 2 tracks from the DAW and output them to the inputs of each amp?

Thanks
    The usual procedure is to use headphones for tracking. That lets you hear the playback and your live playing at the same time while you record. A simple 2-channel recording interface will take care of this. If the drums are acoustic then having amps for playback would cause bleed in the drum mics, so headphones are the way to go. Reaper is a great DAW you can try for free.

This is how I'd record you:

1. Set up a click track
    2. Record scratch guitar to the click
    3. Record drums to the scratch guitar, probably with the click as well
    4. Record the bass to the drums and scratch guitar
    5. Replace the scratch guitar with a keeper take

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you don't want to take your computer and stuff, I'd think a portable, digital multi-track recorder would be a better option for what you describe.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Something like this?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...k-pocketstudio

...I notice it only has 1 line out, when I really want 2, so that I can play guitar through guitar amp and the bass through the bass amp.. hm..

Thanks
    That's a stereo line/headphone output. Just plug headphones into it.

Thanks
    I honestly don't want to use headphones. I want others to be able to hear this stuff live

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamache View Post
    I honestly don't want to use headphones. I want others to be able to hear this stuff live
    Well ok but for ONE thing Chucky, you cannot record a live mic AND have speakers on because you will get horrendous feedback. Then, as has been said, amps and stuff, ESPECIALLY drums will bleed into tracks you don't want them to.

I assume you have all your music kit setup at Mum's? All you need then is to lug the laptop, AI and headphones (aka 'cans') home with you and having laid down the tracks you can mix, match, modify and generally bugger them to taste back home.

Reaper is a brilliant DAW but maybe a bit boggling to start with? Not really free either. You might get on with Samplitude ProX Silver? limited to 8 tracks but totally free. There is a free version of Studio One but I have not tried it.

Other things to consider are, DI boxes, Re-amp boxes and amp speaker load boxes and (never done it but I read!) you are going to have SUCH FUN trying to get a decent drums recording!

My basic AI reccy is the Steinberg UR22 but the Native Instruments would give you 4 tracks and allow kit to be left setup.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Well ok but for ONE thing Chucky, you cannot record a live mic AND have speakers on because you will get horrendous feedback. Then, as has been said, amps and stuff, ESPECIALLY drums will bleed into tracks you don't want them to.

I assume you have all your music kit setup at Mum's? All you need then is to lug the laptop, AI and headphones (aka 'cans') home with you and having laid down the tracks you can mix, match, modify and generally bugger them to taste back home.

Reaper is a brilliant DAW but maybe a bit boggling to start with? Not really free either. You might get on with Samplitude ProX Silver? limited to 8 tracks but totally free. There is a free version of Studio One but I have not tried it.

Other things to consider are, DI boxes, Re-amp boxes and amp speaker load boxes and (never done it but I read!) you are going to have SUCH FUN trying to get a decent drums recording!

My basic AI reccy is the Steinberg UR22 but the Native Instruments would give you 4 tracks and allow kit to be left setup.

Dave.
    Ah, yeah I'm not interested in recording the drums. I just want to record the guitar/bass, so that I can play drums live with them. None of this (yet) is to actually record and save.

I just want to jam, and most of the people I know suck and can't do their part. This way, I can still have as close to possible a "live" gig experience, with just myself.

Thread Information