1 or 2 Mics Drums Recording

mactreouser

Hi,
This is my very first 1 or 2 Mics Drum Recording for a quick live tutorial recording. Most probably might go with Dynamic Mics like SM58 (as what they have, they should have Behringer C2, I think).

Need your help: What's the Best Mics Placement in this case?

In a situation like that there are a few approaches you can go.

One of the simplest being a condenser a few feet front of the kit.

You could also do one overhead and a 58 in the kick drum.

If you have a stereo pair of mics you could do the recorderman method. This method lacks kick in my experience so if you could do 3 channels and add a kik mic that would be ideal.

Appreciate JG!
So, for 2 Mics, it seems 3ft away from Kick + Center Overhead is the best choice for overall, am I right? Ya, in this case, doesn't care it's MONO then.

So, if there is only 2 SM58 or 2 Behringer C2, which will you suggest for the setup? SM58 for Front Kick and C2 for Overhead?

I don't understand, has the number of mics now increased?

2 mics, 58 in kick, C2 as overhead.

4 mics, 58 in kick, 58 on snare, stereo pair of C2's as overhead. Or you could try the Glyn Johns method with the 4 mics? Link.

Alan.

Ops, my bad. As mentioned early, there perhaps provider 2 SM58 or 2 Behringer C2.

My question supposed : if there is a Choice, which option is the best to go?

Ops, my bad. As mentioned early, there perhaps provider 2 SM58 or 2 Behringer C2.

My question supposed : if there is a Choice, which option is the best to go?

If the room sounds good, the glyn johns as per my link, if the room is not that good, the c2 overheads and 58 snare and kick, try it out and see, nothing to loose trying both.

Alan

Back