Zoom H4 help needed

launies

I've had a Zoom H4 recorder for ages and have been really happy with it. Just recently, I upgraded my MacBook to MacOS High Sierra (version 10.13.4) and guess what? Nothing works anymore! I connect to the MacBook in the usual way and then elect 'connect to PC'. It then seems to be stuck on 'now connection to PC'. I've checked on the Zoom website and nothing there seems to be of help. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to work again? Thanks in advance.

Here's another part of my problem - I don't know much about computers! I've just used the H4 for recording, then transferring onto the MacBook where I can use it in iTunes or upload it to Dropbox. What does 'interface' mean? Sorry!

Here's another part of my problem - I don't know much about computers! I've just used the H4 for recording, then transferring onto the MacBook where I can use it in iTunes or upload it to Dropbox. What does 'interface' mean? Sorry!
Ok, so you're just treating it as a USB device. Does your MacBook have an SD card slot so you could just take that out of the H4 and put it into the MacBook? I confess that's what I always do with my H6 and old MacBook and Mac Mini. I've never used the USB connection for copying files. But, I'll go check my H6 with my Mini, which has been upgraded to High Sierra and see if it has any problems. Don't have an H4 so if the firmware for that part is different it wouldn't show up.

Even if the mac does not have a card slot, USB card readers are readily available and start at about $2.00!

I am not surprised the Zoom was trashed by an OS change, I read of many people stuffed like this. Even top AI makers like RME have been affected.

Windows 10 of course has a similar hardware "obsoleting" regime!

Dave.

I've had a Zoom H4 recorder for ages ...
If it's the H4, and not H4n or H4n Pro, check the firmware version. The very last firmware update (in 2009!) lists this as the first fix:
. Fixed the problem that the H4 takes a long time to be recognized by connected PC when the H4 is used as a card reader

That's version 2.40, so if your system is an H4 and not on that version, that's what I'd do first. Start your search/checks here to find your product and find applicable downloads/instructions.
All Product Resources | Zoom

Thanks to everyone for the help. I just finished work and tried things again. I'm amazed - I actually managed to follow instructions correctly and now can use the H4 again but putting the SD card into the MacBook. Thanks, folks - you're great!

Back