You'll find this interesting!

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
Start with a clock

replace the numbers with the letters of the musical scale

starting with ' 1 ' and replacing it with ' A ', next ' 2 ' with ' B flat ', next ' 3 ' with ' B ' ..... etc. all of the way around the clock.

Then connect the 'BLACK' keys of a piano together with lines

Interesting coincidence huh?

So a pentatonic scale is really a stick man doing a star jump..... hmmmm... Could be a song in that perhaps? But I don't think I'm the one the one to write it. ;)

I wrote a song using nothing but black keys of the piano ..... came out pretty good.

I played a gig with an Irish piano player once that only played on the black keys, made playing the bass with him very interesting key wise.

maybe I should get a star?

alan.

I wrote a song using nothing but black keys of the piano ..... came out pretty good.

You're in good company. One of the legends of songwriting, Irving Berlin, used to like to compose on the black keys. He actually had a piano that could transpose mechanically by moving the keyboard, so that he could use the same physical piano keys but play in different musical keys. Interesting guy:

Irving Berlin

He actually had a piano that could transpose mechanically by moving the keyboard, so that he could use the same physical piano keys but play in different musical keys.
I've done a similar thing for many years with varispeeding. I've learned alot about the black keys because, slowing a song down by 1 to 1 and a half tones means you end up in amongst the black keys alot. Of course it depends where you started off in the original key and speed !

You're in good company. One of the legends of songwriting, Irving Berlin, used to like to compose on the black keys. He actually had a piano that could transpose mechanically by moving the keyboard, so that he could use the same physical piano keys but play in different musical keys. Interesting guy:

Irving Berlin

I find it easy to composing that way -- of using only the black keys.

Back