yamaha psr-273 midi problems

doobd

i've bought yamaha PSR-275 keyboard in order to connect it to my PC and use it as a midi input keyboard, but i can't get it working. i've connected it via standard midi cable (joystick port on one end, and 2 midi 5-pin jacks (in&out) on other end) to my SB Audigy.

i'm using 'midiox' (http://www.midiox.com/) midi monitor aplication to monitor what goes through midi ports, and it shows no data transfer. however, cable is ok, since it works fine connected to my 'evolution uc33' midi controler (http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_uc33e.htm). that midi controler can be connected via usb or midi interface, and i usually connect it via usb because than it needs no external power supply adapter, but it also works fine with that midi-joystickport cable i have.

i've tried connecting midi controler via usb, and PSR-275 to 'midi in' port on midi contoler, and than 'midiox' showed some data when pressing keys on PSR-275, but not every time i pressed a key, and only one key at a time (it seems to me that it is some kind of buffered input). also, i'm not sure if i connected the midi controler and psr-275 with the appropriate cable (it is 5-pin on both ends, wired pin to pin).

could someone tell me what might be causing the problem? does yamaha have some non-standard midi interface? do i have to buy some special yamaha midi cable? if that is so, could someone send me some schematic diagram of pin layout?

i've tried replaceing 'standard game port' driver in device menager (win XP) with 'game port for yamaha' driver but it had no effect.

i've also tried contacting yamaha customer support and they gave me some sensless answers like 'installed the proper driver for USB Port' (that has no point - i want to connect keyboard via MIDI interface, it has no usb output. however, yamaha has some usb-to-midi cable)

please help, i'm pretty desperate 'cause i bought that keyboard especialy for computer usage, and now it doesn't work.

Last edited:
does yamaha have some non-standard midi interface? do i have to buy some special yamaha midi cable? if that is so, could someone send me some schematic diagram of pin layout?

No. MIDI is, by definition, a standard. There are some variant plug/jack types that have sprung up (there's a smaller DIN plug, and then there are the devices that send MIDI data to a computer via FireWire, USB, parallel, or serial ports) but if that was an issue here the connectors simply would'nt go together, it would be obvious.

It's possible the SB Audigy's MIDI ports are not enabled. Have you checked this? That's what it sounds like to me. Use the Audio HQ or whatever they call their control panel software these days.

I know this is an old thread but

In case anyone else should have this issue and found this thread, you simply need to push the PC button, then click the + (plus sign) to enable the MIDI channels on the Yamaha PSR-275.

I know this is an old thread but

In case anyone else should have this issue and found this thread, you simply need to push the PC button, then click the + (plus sign) to enable the MIDI channels on the Yamaha PSR-275.
incorrect. The keyboard attempts to send midi either way. the psr-275 is very defective so most just don't have a working midi interface.

What? Keyboards like this send MIDI, and receive it. They also have a local off to prevent double triggering. The 275 was NOT defective as a general model. It was, however plasticky, tinny sounding and had rather weak woodwind and strings. The grand piano was very unrealistic but the electric usable. Worst thing was the velocity management was poor (typical of their lower priced keys) in that it was easy to play loud but quiet was very difficult.

However after 9 years it's probably in the land fill, 100ft down by now!

Back