Yamaha MG10XU low recording sound

PodcastingLab

I have an MG10XU mixer and while recording in a DAW such as Audacity and Reaper, the recording volume is very low.

I have installed the latest driver on a Win 10 system, selected both the record and speakers as line MG XU and volume 100. I have tried both Heil PR40 and Rode Procaster microphones. I have tried both using phantom power and not, because they do not need it. I have set gain, comp, and stereo volume out to max. Everything I have tried has not changed the volume that is recorded in the DAW programs. I connected a stereo out cable from the MG10XU to the mic in on a Win 10 laptop, and the recording levels were perfect. I replaced the USB cable with a gold plated cable and also tried another computer running Win 7 Pro, with the latest Yamaha drivers, and I got the same low recording level.

I can just use the stereo out and connect to the sound card of the PC. It is an HP Beats sound card. But I purchased this to use the USB.

Has anyone fixed this problem?

I have set gain, comp, and stereo volume out to max.
- Any particular reason the 'comp' is set to max? Try '0', otherwise you're squishing the crap out of the signal.
- From the mixers block diagram the 'Stereo volume/level' out does not affect the level to the USB interface. The 'Level' knob on the channel does however affect the USB level.
- Do you get the 'Peak' light on the channel when speaking into the mic depending on the setting of the Gain knob?
- You are aware the PR-40 and Procaster are both 'end-address' mics and not 'side address' mics like a large condenser mic.
- Does the Steinberg driver show as the selected in the DAW?

I will try the comp at zero.

Yes, the Steinberg driver shows in the DAW application.

I had a Blue Yeti and when using Audacity or Reaper the sound was great. It would record between 1 and -1 on the audio track. After I set up the MG10XU and tried to record, it was between about .2 and -.2. The blue recording line almost doesn't move. During playback the sound is so low I have to turn the gain all the way up.

But when I plugged stereo out into the mic in port, the recording was just like the Blue Yeti. Except it sounded better.

I put the comp at zero and still had the same result. My PC has an ok sound card. Is it better to record thought the sound card or through the USB?

I worked with Yamaha support and they explained how to get the largest signal. But it is still not nearly what I want. Even at full gain and yelling in the microphone, I can't get the channel LED to flash.

Thank you for contacting Yamaha Support.
Regarding your MG10XU question, Thye USB output is pre-stereo volume control so the USB output level is controlled by the Channel output only and is appx -15db. So Make sure the Pad is off;turn up the gain intil the peak led just flashes on the channel. This is appx -3db . Set the comp at appx 10:oo; and turn up the channel volume to appx 4:00. This should max out the channel to its maximum usb level.

Back