Yamaha MG Mixer vs. an M-Audio DMP3

HeyHeyMyMy

Red Member
Hello,
I had planned on heading out today to pick up an M-Audio DMP3 pre-amp, but just wanted to ask a question first. Other than the added number of tracks, how would something like the small little Yamaha MG102 mixer compare to the DMP3 in terms of sound quality? I have one of those Yamaha Porta Studio tape units and it seems pretty damn noisy to me (just the unit itself, not when playing back on tape), so I don't know if this is true for all Yamaha gear in this low price range. Since the PortaStudio has phantom power, would it serve the same purpose as the MG mixe, thus making the MG a needless purchase?

For now, I couldn't see myself needing more than two tracks at once, but the extras are always nice to have on hand. If there would be a marked difference in sound quality I will go with the DMP3. Thanks!

think about one thing. if the dmp3 (a very fine preamp)
does get a fault then you cant record. if one channel of the mg goes bad you still can. frankly at this price level your asking questions that are difficult to answer. if you had said ive got unlimited bucks then i would have said look at great river preamps or hardy preamps.
if your porta studio has 48 v phnatom on it and you want to use a mic that needs 48v eg..a condensor then sure try the portastudio.
i used the preamps in a porta i toodled with the electronics on for this song...
new york office job (a little ditty with stereo guitars) at soundclick.com/bmanning the song is all about the boring office computer life.
now compare the porta to a top studio console on take my love song.
not all that much difference.
if were me in your shoes as the mg is so cheap and given its facilities i would think carefully about getting it. big bang for little bucks.
with respect. dont agonise too much. old saying...paralysis by analysis.
because as you become a more proficient audio enginer and producer
your needs will change. just get SOMETHING and start doing lots of tracks
and learning engineering tricks.
peace.

Yeh the pres on the MG series are very quiet.

You won't be disappointed if you get the mixer. Even though it's only a 2-bus, you can actually get more outs via the inserts

How does that work Bulls? Could you explain a bit to me about bussing etc (what it is and that).

Cheers. :)

I have an MG 10/2 and its quite a decent little mixer - I love it to bits and the preamps are quite quiet - although I don't have anything besides guitar amps to compare it to.

I have an MG10/2 and compared to my Behringer UB1204 it's in a different league. It looks and feels like a minature piece of real kit, as opposed to a silver toy.

TripleJ - for four track recording from the 10/2:

- 'Tap' the inserts on channels one and two. This means sticking a jack lead halfway in, to the first click. I think on the MG the insert comes post-EQ and pre-fader. So you basically set your gain properly and then it goes directly out to your recording device.
- Pan channel three hard left and four hard right. This way the main stereo left out of the mixer is carrying channel three, and stereo right has channel four. Hey presto, four tracks!

This is my exact setup at home ... and let me tell you that the MG10/2 into Delta 44 (total cost £200) combo is not a world below the Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24 desk into Alesis HD24 (cost £2000+) I am currently using at university!

Back