yamaha md8 and effects

Koek

I'm going to buy a digital multitracker but I don't know which yet. I have considered the Korg d8, but the fact that it only records two tracks at one time holds me back (I want to record a band with real drums)
My next option would be the Roland VS880ex, a very nice package indeed, but a lot more expensive.
Now I have read about the Yamaha md8 and it seems perfect (especially since you can record 8 tracks at one time!) but... it has no build in effects. Here are my typical newbie questions:

1. How bad is it when you're mixing down without effects?
2. Whats the best (financially and quality-wise) option when it comes to buying an effect processor to work with the Yamaha?
3. Should I forget about this, close my eyes upon opening my wallet and buy the VS880ex?

I really need help from you. I've been to all the local stores but all good salesmen seems to be on holiday.

Thanks in advance,

Martijn

Martijn:

I use the MD-8 in my home studio and it is superior to tape decks but it is not quite CD due to compression in recording; As to your question:

You can buy an FX box today, a very good one, for a reasonable price. I have to FX boxes; an Ensonique DP-4 and an Alesis Quadraverb. Each box has some nice rooms and you can edit and create/save your own reverb rooms-takes a lot a time but it is worth it. (I have two created reverb rooms for one of my female vocalists which suit her voice quite well.)

I would have to say that one of the Roland boxes might be a good thought. But, if the manual is like the one I just got for my Boss 770 drum machine, YEOW! The first page had four words misspelled. The organization of the material is very poor. Because I've had several drum machines, I can get by but woe be to the newbie.

I think you have your work cut out if you want to record live the whole band. Most tunes are done in parts today; drums/bass/horns etc.

Suggest you find a company that will rent you a Roland Box, or whatever, for 90 days. Then you can really see if that's what you want. I've heard the sound of Korg is very good because it isn't compressed; but, as you note, it has limitations that do not fit your needs.

I enjoy my MD-8 by Yam and will probably buy their update which, of course, will be better than the previous model...so it goes.

I record all of the parts myself with a syn and a drum machine; or, I pipe in background music designed for would-be singers and write my own words to famous tunes to spoof or have fun.

Keep on searching and recording and having fun.

The Green Hornet

Green Hornet: Thank you for your detailed reply (never mind the misspelling, I never noticed it in the first place, being dutch).

I think I go for the Roland 880ex, 'cause CD-quality is my goal, but thanks very much for all your tips.

Greetings!

Martijn

In the US, you can buy a clean used Alesis MicroVerb 4 for about $100-$150. I got one and it's a very versatile box for effects. You really are going to want effects, at mix-down time.

I think you're right to require a machine that will allow you to record 8 tracks at once, if you will be doing any live work or drums. Be aware, though, that if you use all 8 tracks, a minidisc machine only allows you 17 minutes of recording time per disc.

I have the Sony MDM X4 (4 track minidisc) and am happy with it. I get 37 minutes per disc in 4-track mode. But there are times when I wish I had 8 tracks to play with.

- barrefly

I know about the space limitations with minidiscs. The VS880ex I think of buying has a 4,2 gigabyte harddisk. Has any of you got any idea how much 8-track recording time that is?

Thank you for your help!

Martijn

Where I am, the VS880Ex is about twice the price of the MD8. If you have the money....

An external effects box can be very easily used with the MD8 using the two send/receive effects loop. that plus the in-line effects possibilities (before you record), and the MD8 will be fine.

That extra money could then be used to buy two great microphones and other essentials.

but if you have the extra money for the 880 AND the microphones, the 880 is better than the MD8. You get what you pay for.

Also the 880 can only record 6 analogue plus two digital signals simultaneously. so keep that in mind for recording.

at this point the vs-88oex only has a 2.1 gig hard drive but thats a lot when you consider that you can record 68 minnutes of eight track at 44.1khz(cd quality), the 880ex is a good choice since you can add another 880 and make it 16 tracks insted of 8.....im getting the vs-1680 to start and the im gonna get another in a few months...

Back