Yamaha MD8??????

CellarCat

I am thinkin about buying one of these. Is there any users of the minidisc multitrackers on here? Why is there no Yamaha forum?? there seems to be one for every other kind of equipment.I really like the idea of 8 tracks but the price of the data discs for the MD8 are $30 here in canada. so i am also considering the tascam 424 mkIII cassette recorder . I am just recording for fun so little fidelity loss when bouncing would not be a big deal for me.. also if i buy the cassette machine i will also be able ot afford some other toys to go along with it right away . such as a condensor mic , effects unit . compressor, mic preamp. as the MD8 is twice as much as the 424mkIII.. would love to hear from any MD8 users out there.. thought about goin the computer route but have no room left in my jam room for it . and i would also have to upgrade quite a bit..

Yo Cat in the Cellar in Canada!!!!

Visited Toronto once; nice city and I had a nice time visiting friends.

You're right; there should be an MD-8 forum. How about it Dragon of the scaley type?

But as to your inquiry....I use the MD-8. It's a nice box. Not quite CD because of compression but it does a nice job and NO WAITING FOR THE TAPE TO REWIND. Just hit a button and ZINGO, right back to go.

Instruction manual is not bad to get started; after that, about the same as most manuals -- full of beaver fur!

The MD Data discs can be used OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I think I have 5 discs and have only put a couple to use so far. After mixing there won't be too much you would want to save because you HAVE NEW IDEAS TO TRY; thus, to save money, you might have a friend in the U.S. get you a few MD data discs; I think we have a better price.

You might want to scope out the new Korg 16 track, as well as Roland's collection. I think you would like the MD-8. Maybe you should hear one at a dealership? If you go MD-8, you can touch base with me for whatever help I might be able to give you as you learn the box.

bmocini@davenport.edu

Have fun shopping. Green Hornet

Hey Cellercat
I hava MD8 and I really like it. Its performance is close to uncompressed digital. I cant tell the difference but a freind of mine can(Most of the time) so there is a difference.They are easy to operate and have some editing features allthough, not as comprehensive as a hard disc system. As far as the discs' price go, I buy a five pack and get them for 20.00 Can each. Still expensive BUT instead of keeping all these discs around, I just mix down and erase the thing when I need a nother disc. Not good when you decide you need to remix for whatever reason. Anyhow after having two cassette portastudios(Tascam 244 & 688) the sound on the MD8 is soooooo much better that I could never go back.

Hey Green Hornet and Percy thanks for your insight on the MD8... You should visit Vancouver sometime Green Hornet way nicer than Toronto!!!. Where did you buy your MD8 at Percy? and where do you get the data discs for that price?? I was thinkin that I could mix down from the MD8 to HIFI VHS and then copy that onto the regular stereo minidiscs for storage if it something I want to keep.. What do you guys mix down to??? thanks again for your replies... this site is great .. first place i go when i come online..I am planning to buy my recorder in about six months as I want to buy a new guitar amp first. so i figure by that time with all the info and tips on here i should be able to make an informed decision..

I was just reading an ad for the MD8 and it said that after you recorded all 8 tracks you could mix down to two. Does this eliminate the need for an external mixdown deck of somekind. Any MD8 users out there do you mix like this or to an external midown deck...

Yo Cat in the Cellar:

That's the beauty of a packaged box like the MD-8. Yea, it doth mixeth from 8 tracks down to two.

That's where the real work begins. You need to tweak all of the tracks and sometimes jump in with a fader during the mix to get a solo into the forefront. Since the MD-8 will accommodate two FX boxes, you can really get into some creative stuff.

If you don't need to use 8 tracks, like you do stuff on four tracks, the MD-8 has a 4 track mode and that will give you 37 minutes of recording time instead of 18 minutes when using the 8 track mode.

So, I do NOT mix from a mixing board -- it's built right into the MD-8.

Hope this helps,

Green Hornet

I have to say I love my MD8 (bought in Ottawa), but I'm having problems recording a stereo signal (see my other threads elsewhere). I like the machine, but the manual is crap; it just doesn't make sense to me. It may as well be written in Latin! :)

But you can't beat using the MD - no rewind, and its so much easier than farting around with tape.

Oh and we definitely need a Yamaha forum.

[This message has been edited by stodge (edited 02-16-2000).]

Yo Stodge:

If I have this right, there is no stereo plug-in in the MD-8 except for the stereo phones. So, if you use a stereo 1/4 plug, you won't get any results; however, there is some gizzmo within the MD-8 that creates the stereo mix. I can pan left/right during the mix-down and get the stereo effect in the final mix to tape. My drum machine has two outs but I only use one most of the time. Drums come through very well from the mono 1/4 inch plug, especially with my new toy, the Boss 770 drum box, which is my third drum machine. I retired the Alesis SR-16. The Boss sounds much better, more like CD.

If my perception of the MD-8 is correct, most all of the plug-ins are mono; however, the box achieves stereo via routing the signals. I'm sure some of you astute studio persons out there can clear up the stereo stumper.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

[This message has been edited by The Green Hornet (edited 02-16-2000).]

Hey Green Hornet thanks again for the replies . I guess what i was trying to ask was if you can mix down from 8 to 2 and then you would have your finished copy . And then you could make copies to an esternal cassette deck , VHS deck or CD burner or what have you..I think hte more I look at stuff the MD8 will be the one I buy, it sounds like a great machine. I will be buying my new amp here in hte next couple of weeks ( trying to decide between the 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue or a Line 6 ) and then I will be doin some serious recorder shopping....

Just wanted to put my two cents in...

I've had great results with my MD8. The ability to read before record w/o signal loss or bleed really increases the possibilities.

I've seen the discs for around $13 US at www.musicemporium.com

I mix to a CD burner, but that may not be in your buget right now. There's a review of VHS for mixdown at the home page you may want to check out.

Also, if you're planning on recording anything live (band) 8-track sim. record comes in handy.

Green Hornet, sounds like you understand my problem. Can you explain how to do this signal/routing/thingy? Maybe someone could write a FAQ?

Back