yamaha hs80 monitor

mofat

I was wondering if I could use the 2 inputs (1/4" and xlr) coming from 2 different interfaces. Would it hurt the drivers if by accident I turn both interfaces on at the same time.

Last edited:
Not a good idea. I have found a schematic for the HS 80 and the XLR and TRS inputs are simply wired in parallel thus, plugging in two AI outs will effectively load each one with the other's (usually very low) output impedance almost certainly causing distortion.

One solution, feed each output through a resistor in each "leg". Needs 8 in total each of about 470 Ohms (value not critical but must all be the same).
Better a switch. Must be 2 pole change over per speaker and some "dissing" of shields might be needed to beat hum loops.

ONCE again (again!) A simple bit of electrical and mechanical work for those with the basic smarts. Get some!

Dave.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and research! That probably saved me a pair of monitors :)

You are very welcome but no harm would have befallen the monitors. Neither would the AIs driving a near shorted load have suffered but there would likely have been distortion.

Dave.

Back