XLR to TRS to 1/4" :::

Badtz

is there such a plug that can convert an XLR [output] to a 1/4" plug? & does the conversion still sound good?

also is there a 1/4" to TRS converter/plug also?

does a TRS 1/4" plug carry two channels? [stereo]

how would I carry a two mono 1/4" plugs into ONE 1/4" TRS plug on the 896 motu?

thanks

There is plugs that can do the conversion for you... The conversion doesn't matter, it's just a plug, a way of connecting. The plug is actually a female plug on one side and a male plug of a different type on the other side. Inside there's just connections... Nothing more.

Now you gotta be carefull with TRS plugs. They are used for some different things.
- The first on is stereo, tip is your left signal, ring is right (or other way around) and the sleeve is ground.
- Second is balanced. Tip is hot, ring is cold, sleeve is ground. If you don't know what balanced is, look it up. This is important to know.
- And the third use is with inserts on a mixer. Here the tip is send and the ring is the return of the signal, or the other way around. Depending on the manufacturer. Check the manual of the mixer in question for this....

My guess is the Motu uses TRS jacks for balanced signals, so I wouldn't put in a stereo signal. You can put it in, but the 2 signals just get subtracted and end up as a mono signal...

yeah, motu uses trs balanced.........

with balanced line-in's, is that just for one channel?

are there such inputs where you physically plug in one cable, but it carries two signals? [left/right presumably?]

Do some reading on balanced!! It is in fact one signal, but you send it twice, one positive and one negative version. At the end of the line, both signals get subtracted from eachother. Thus you end up with twice the original signal. The part of the noise that gets added to both signals is eliminated...

There are such stereo TRS inputs. But you don't see them very often. Especially not on more expensive gear...

My cheapo headphone amplifier uses a TRS stereo input. Most headphones have a stereo TRS plug, btw.

Back