XLR to 1/4 cable problem

lagwagon06

Hi folks,

I am using a presonus audiobox, and having too much of a signal when using my microphone (which runs with the 48V phantom supply). So after reading a bunch of things on the internet, I understood it was kind of a problem with the audiobox from presonus and decided to buy a DI box to resolve the problem (with the -20 db pad).
I bought this DI Box https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00172EAD8?ref_=pe_1811570_136791410_E_Asin_Title

and this cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WZQVGWS?ref_=pe_1811570_136791410_E_Asin_Title

Indeed the idea was to use the cable from the mic to the DI, and a XLR-XLR cable from the DI to the audiobox.

I installed everything and got no signal in my DAW. I then decided to check if the DI worked by plugging my guitar and it worked.
However when plugging the cable from the mic to the audiobox directly, no sound. The cable is brand new and I don t think it is the problem.

If I understood correctly, the problem is due to the cable and the phantom supply, because basically I should use a XLR-XLR from the mic to the DI if I wanted everything to work (however the DI I got do not have a XLR input).

I understood that a balanced XLR to 1/4 cable could do the trick, but the cable I bought is a XLR to TRS, and TRS is balanced right?

Is there a way I can fix my problem with another cable, if yes which kind if cable ?
Or should I just get a refund and get another DI Box with a XLR input and outpout?

Thanks so much,

Jean

Jean,

Let's back up a bit.......

- What is the microphone you are using? Manufacturer and model.
- The Audiobox appears to come in several different models. What is the model name of yours?
- Are you using drivers that Presonus provides for the Audiobox if they are available?
- Windows or Mac and what OS are you using?
- What DAW recording software are you using?

You should be able to adjust the gain on the Audiobox so you don't have too much signal. Is it the red LED clip light on the Audiobox that seems to illuminate too much or is it the levels in the DAW recording software that have too much signal?

Jean,

Let's back up a bit.......

- What is the microphone you are using? Manufacturer and model.
- The Audiobox appears to come in several different models. What is the model name of yours?
- Are you using drivers that Presonus provides for the Audiobox if they are available?
- Windows or Mac and what OS are you using?
- What DAW recording software are you using?

You should be able to adjust the gain on the Audiobox so you don't have too much signal. Is it the LED clip light on the Audiobox that seems to illuminate too much or is it the levels in the DAW recording software that have too much signal?

I am using a t bone SC 400, gold diaphragm condenser microphone with a presonus audiobox USB. I am using the drivers presonus provides for the audiobox. I am using Windows 7 professional and studio one artist.

I of course tried to adjust the gain on the audiobox, and even at the minimum I do have too much signal and both the LED clip light illuminate and the levels in the DAW have too much signal. I have read in a couple of forum that it appears to be a recurrent problem with the audiobox USB and that s why I decided to get a DI Box. Even with the guitar and the gain on the audiobox at the minumum I do see the LED clip light illuminate and the levels in the DAW too high.
However with the DI box, there is no more problem with the guitar, but with the mic nothing works. Indeed just pluging the mic with the XLR- 1/4 TRS cable into the audiobox do not work.

best,
jean

Phantom power will not go through the DI box. It has nothing to do with the cable.

What you need is a pad that will pass phantom power, or an interface that isn't so sensitive. The mic into DI box simply won't work for anything that runs on phantom.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your clear answer. I am wondering if you have any idea of pad that can pass phantom power. Where can I find this? What should I google to find this ?

Thanks,
Jean

I found a good number of threads/posts at various websites to say the Audiobox USB has a problem. If you can I would recommend returning the interface to where you purchased it. The specifications convey a range of gain that should work with just about any microphone without a problem. Something is not right in that interface and you shouldn't have to be adding extra parts to it to make it work.

Scrap this suggestion.....
If you absolutely are stuck with it, try connecting as shown below

Mic-XLR to XLR >>> Phantom Power Box >>> XLR to 1/4" TRS >>> Direct Box >>> XLR to XLR >>> Audiobox

An attentuator that would pass phantom power......
https://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_a15as.htm

Hi,

Thanks again for your quick answer. I bought the audiobox from thomann 3 year ago, and I know live the USA, so I don t think it s a good idea to return it (I was not really using the audiobox before, was just having fun with a guitar)
This attenuator is a bit expensive for me , for what I want to do a least. I found this one on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...&sr=1-2&keywords=attenuator+pad+phantom+power

Would it work ? Can I find something cheaper?

Thank you so much,
jean

Hi,

Thanks again for your quick answer. I bought the audiobox from thomann 3 year ago, and I know live the USA, so I don t think it s a good idea to return it (I was not really using the audiobox before, was just having fun with a guitar)
This attenuator is a bit expensive for me , for what I want to do a least. I found this one on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...&sr=1-2&keywords=attenuator+pad+phantom+power

Would it work ? Can I find something cheaper?

Thank you so much,
jean

It says it's compatible with phantom power, so it should work and if it doesn't Amazon is pretty good about returns. As this this should 'fix' the mic problem, you'll still need the DI Box for the guitar.

Edit....
Cheaper ....... https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-ATT448-Input-Attenuator-Female/dp/B000K67U52

I have some inline pads that work with Phantom, I bought them from Karma Microphones, however they seem to be going out of business which is sad. There are other around Shure make one the A15AS, shop around for the best price as it all over the place price wise.

Alan.

https://www.studiospares.com/Microp...spares-20dB-In-Line-XLR-Attenuator_568580.htm

That is of reasonable cost. Beware, some XLR-XLR attenuators are '600 Ohm' impedance types (not sure why these days?) ands while they would work on a mic circuit they will give rather less than the stated attenuation into the 1k5+ input Z of most mic pre amps. Mind you, the source and sink impedances of mics and mic pres can be all over the shop (a 57 ain't 150 Ohms tha'knows!) so any attenuator is going to be a bit up or down on the label.

That said however, the 20dB unit shown will chop that T-Bone mic down to about 2.3mV i.e. little more than a Shure '57 so a 10dB (div' by 3) might be a better bet.

Dave.

Dave.

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that I got the Hosa ATT-448 Inline Switchable Attenuator, and it solved all my problems.

Thank you

Back