xenyx 1204usb probs

T

tryseled

xenyx 1204usb probs

Greetings fellow audiophobes. My name is Eddy and I'm from sunny New Zealand. I want to do some home recording and I now have a computer (3 gig, 2 megs ram, XP Rev3, ) built 5 years ago, Xenyx 1204USB mixer (new), Sure SM48 mics, Creative Blaster X-FI soundcard, and an Asio driver for the mixer which I think is port specific. I have connected the 1204 to that usb port. At this stage, I can play into the mixer, I can record into a recording program on the computer (Audition or Audacity) and hear the output through earphones. I would like to hear the output through speakers but I have absolutely no idea where to go from here.Can anybody please help?
Eddy.

Plug your speakers into your main outs on you mixer - or what looks to be the USB return RCA's from the pic.

If you dont have powered speakers then you need an amp in between.

1204USB_P0794_Top_XL.png

Hi CFox, Thank you for helping. What is a USB return RCA?

Dude, just read everything carefully, watch the video and look at the picture and your equipment. It may seem overwhelming but it really isn't that complicated...

Look at the picture CFOX posted above of your mixer. In the upper right corner you will see four little connection points. Two of them are white and underneath those are two that are red. Above them you will see the words "2TR/USB" and then the words "Input" (for the pair on the left) and "Output" (for the pair on the right). Plug you speakers into the pair on the right (one red, one white) under the word "Output".

"RCA" refers to this type of jack, as opposed to all the 1/4" jacks elsewhere on your mixer and the large three pronged "XLR" jacks on the upper left side in the picture above. RCA jacks and cables are typically used for basic interconnections of audio signals between components (like between a mixer and powered speakers:)).

As discussed in the other copy of your thread, your speakers won't connect to RCA cables directly. Being computer speakers instead of true audio equipment, they use a single 1/8" stereo plug. You will need an adaptor to connect the RCA cables to that will provide a proper socket to receive the plug from your speakers. Make sense?

J

Attention Cfox and jjjtttggg, gentlemen, if I can kiss your feet, I would do so. Yeeha, whoopee, cheering sounds, skyrockets etc, after staring at the mixer for close to a month, a few words from you guys and it is working.
Cfox, I tried to follow the video but I'm afraid that it was still a little too cryptic for me. However jjjtttggg spent about 4 hours talking me (metaphorically speaking) through the system setup yesterday, and now everything makes sense (sort of) to me. Thank you for helping me out, I owe you one.
jjjtttggg-thanks for your help buddy, however I'm not quite out of the woods. (NZ expression meaning I think I still need some help) I bought most of the items you recommended, I connected the 1/8 socket to the control room outs (back panel) to the computer speakers and with my limited knowledge I can say that it is now working. The 2-TR/USB and the 2-TR/USB TO MAINS switches I can sort of get going, but there's a switch labeled MAIN MIX which I need to have down before my mic will work. I seem to be getting an inordinate amount of 'noise' from the white PHONES/CONTROL ROOM knob, but that is just bye the bye. So at the moment, it is working. I'm sure a purist would be having kittens at the way I've got the thing set up, but hey, you have to start somewhere right? Thank you for taking time with me yesterday, I owe you at least two. Thanks again.
Eddy

Yes, if you are listening to the control room out, you will need the "Main Mix" button down to hear the Mic (because it's in the Main Mix). If you want to hear your playback as well, I think you also want the 2-TR/USB button down as well, ans the 2-TR/USB to Mains button up.

Your control room out shouldn't be noisy. I'm not sure what to make of that Do you have the gain up enough on your channel preamp where your mic is plugged in? If that's too low and you're having to crank the ctrl volume waay up to compensate, maybe that would make some noise. The gain is the control just below the low cut switch, (which is just below the 1/4"ine in jack, just below the microphone XLR input.) You want to set it so that you get a decent signal through to the computer with the channel and master faders set somewhere near the zero markings. (Note: the zero markings are most of the way up. I don't mean zero as in all the way off. Go by the markings beside the slider knob.) Also, channels that are not in use should have their sliders all the way down to minimize noise. I'm not sure what else to suggest. If you unlplug the mic and put all the sliders down do you still get the noise?

J

HI jjjtttggg
Good to hear from you. I think that I have answered some of my questions, it appears that I somehow installed two drivers side by side (Creative Blaster XFi and a Xenix USB ASIO) or on top of each other or something. I uninstalled the ASIO driver and that got rid of most of the noise from the control room out. Thanks for the tip about the gain on the mic channel preamp. I'm having a ball learning how to use the various knobs and switches. One quick(ish) question though, if I have the control rm out to my computer speakers, and headphones/speakers out on my soundcard to the 2-track/usb RCA in on the mixer, is there a way to control the vol and EQ on say a karaoke (for eg) file - apart from the standard speaker vol thingie on the computer?
Thanks for your help
ET

I'd have to play with it a little or read your manual, but I think that the reason it says "2TR/USB" all over the place is that the board treats the 2TR audio input and the USB input as one. So, if you have your computer soundcard line out (where your computer speakers used to be plugged in) routed to the 2TR input RCA jacks, pressing in the red 2TR/USB button to the left of the phones/ctrl room volume knob (in the routing section for the phones/ctrl rm output) should make the 2TR audio available in your control room outputs which are feeding your speakers. The white knob on the board (or the sound card driver control in the computer) should turn the volume up and down. No promises (remember I don't actually have one of these things. I have an older non-USB Xenyx mixer), but I think that is how it is probably configured. Make sure "2TR/USB to Main" is not pressed in, because that would create a feedback loop through the soundcard. The designers probably put in a mechanism to interupt this feedback loop, but that protection may prevent you from monitoring the 2TR audio, which is what you are trying to do. So "2TR/USB to Main" is out and "2TR/USB" is in.

Note: Notice in this scenario that whether your karaoke playback application is playing to the internal sound card or to your board through the usb port, the output will wind up in the same place . . . 2TR/USB. Depending on how the software is configured, it is possible it could send it to both places, in which case you will hear them both, but they will almost certainly be very slightly out of synch with one another. It will sound doubled. There's no way to choose one or the other within the mixer, so you need to make sure in the computer that only one of these two output paths is configured to be active. (That may happen automatically, I just mention it so you'll know what's up if you hear a doubling effect happening.)

Good luck!

J

Can I use Xenyx 1204 USB mixer without a sound card. I mean if I don't have a sound card, can I use "Xenyx 1204 USB" as a sound card.

Most mixers with USB connections work that way but I am not positive about Behringer's...

Yes, you can. The USB connection is bi-direction capable, so audio can both travel from the mixer to the PC and from the PC to the mixer. Also the noise that you are hearing from the phones output is due to a ground loop (I get the same noise in my phones from my Xenyx 1622 until I unplug my laptop's AC adaptor). It will not be audible in recordings (at least it's not in mine.)

Back