Write MIDI in Windows, export to Logic Pro X?

Shadow1psc

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't see one that better fit my question.

Simple question (I hope) - I have a 21.5" Mac for Logic Pro, absolutely my DAW of choice. I like to write out midi drums and piano as an outline for my projects, which Logic is great at. Problem is, aside from using Logic Pro, I'm 90% a Windows user. Windows at work, Windows on my laptop, Windows for gaming etc.

Is there a good DAW or Notation software that can be used on Windows that will export without too much hassle to Logic Pro X? I would assume I could take most DAWs and keep Logic's MIDI Map handy/remap the DAW, does this work in something like Finale as well? Being able to notate drums is more important to me than piano, even just having a very basic drum sound playback is key.

I'm not too worried about velocities and volume, as these are just really rough outlines, but the end goal would be to write something in Windows, export the midi track, then import to Logic, hit play and hear what I wrote with the correct map already.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Yeah...this should be easy enough.
Midi is midi so no matter what suite or platform you write it in you shouldn't have a problem.
As you've pointed out, midi map discrepancies between instruments is probably the only concern.
If there turns out to be an issue there I'd just remap where you do your writing so that you don't have to convert or modify every time you export/import.

Download a copy of Reaper and see how writing midi goes in it.
I haven't used it for that, but I know it's capable.
You might need to grab a free midi instrument plugin from somewhere.
I'm on OSX so I'm not 100% sure if any built-in windows midi synths will be available to you.

Probably notation is about the limit of difficult and Anvil Studio has that. There are a ton of old hardware MIDI composers in one delights in really small screens

Hi,
Yeah...this should be easy enough.
Midi is midi so no matter what suite or platform you write it in you shouldn't have a problem.
As you've pointed out, midi map discrepancies between instruments is probably the only concern.
If there turns out to be an issue there I'd just remap where you do your writing so that you don't have to convert or modify every time you export/import.

Download a copy of Reaper and see how writing midi goes in it.
I haven't used it for that, but I know it's capable.
You might need to grab a free midi instrument plugin from somewhere.
I'm on OSX so I'm not 100% sure if any built-in windows midi synths will be available to you.

Isn't that the great thing about even Garage Band? Built in synths, some of which are downright usable. I don't understand how anyone could want to use Pro Tools after Logic Pro X's price dropped. I've been suggested Reaper a couple times (and was aware of it), but I've heard its MIDI/Piano Roll editing is sub-par. I'll give it a look myself to determine if its passable. I don't mind a one time purchase (maybe Reason?) if I can get some value back in Logic. I'm not too hard up for Software Synths as I own a Kronos though.

Reaper was doing MIDI as an after project. So, it was audio for a couple versions and hadn't been doing MIDI for a long time like PC Logic and Cakewalk. I thought version 3 was OK. People still compose on the Atari and Commodore

Yeah, GarageBand is little more than a toy but it's nice to have half decent sounding instruments straight out of the gate.
Sure...Give Reaper a look and see. I can only tell you that it 'does midi'. I've know idea how the workflow feels.

Maybe you can use some of the instruments you already own, with whatever DAW you choose? I have SSD4, for example, and I'm pretty sure I can install it on 3 machines.
Reason would certainly have a better reputation for its midi editing capabilities. I remember using it a number of versions ago and it was pretty smooth.

Yeah, GarageBand is little more than a toy but it's nice to have half decent sounding instruments straight out of the gate.
Sure...Give Reaper a look and see. I can only tell you that it 'does midi'. I've know idea how the workflow feels.

Maybe you can use some of the instruments you already own, with whatever DAW you choose? I have SSD4, for example, and I'm pretty sure I can install it on 3 machines.
Reason would certainly have a better reputation for its midi editing capabilities. I remember using it a number of versions ago and it was pretty smooth.

I used Reason 3 so many years ago. I don't use any AUs/VSTs right now (I play everything live), thus why I only want to write basic scratch tracks when I've got down time away from the studio. Maybe Reason Essentials can get it done for cheap.

Back