Would you do analog recording ?

Guitar amps have a LOT of distortion....yet lots of people think they sound BETTER that way than clean amp tones.

You're taking that position that pristine, high-fidelity is what is usually more appealing to listen to or the more optimal way to always record everything/anything.....which is totally not true for most listeners or for many people who do recording.

The digital obsession with emulations of analog flavors....especially saturation and distortion....followed by some digital users objections to real analog recording and gear, is actually pretty comical!!! :D

I'll go out on a limb here, and say that I think most digtital users actually prefer and shoot for "analog sounding" products in the end....looking at the types of plug-ins and emulaitons that exist in the digital world.
There's this endless effort to make digital recordings sound like they use to when they were done with analog tape and gear in real studios. :cool:
In the end....it comes down to price & convenience.....period.

Well you know....when I started with analog tape recording, back in the mid-'70s....it was on a 1/4" 4-track with a small TASCAM mixer and a handful of mics and minimal outboard gear.
I would NEVER EVER call that serious "analog recording". So for anyone to use that as part of their decision making, is pointless.
Well, that's how you feel about it. But it was an analog recorder on which analog recordings were made. A simple, uncomplicated scenario. A Phd is not required in order to answer the questions or discuss them. One's experience is sufficient. Obviously those experience levels will differ.
Unless you qualify what you mean by "analog recording" and at what caliber....asking people's opinions will just produce all kinds of unqualified answers.
Unqualified ?
I look upon this as primarily a home recording site. I know we do have professionals here {and a good thing too} but most users I've had interaction with over the years haven't been. So the caliber is kind of irrelevant ~ whatever caliber one is at or was at doesn't really matter. Hopefully, anyone that wants to contribute will do so out of the experience they've had.
I don't see any of the 3 questions as being so taxing as to require formal qualifications ! They are deliberately experience and opinion based.
Someone who use to only ever record in "analog" on a 4-track cassette portastudio (some still do) with minimal analog outboard gear...and then moved on to a 150 channel DAW with a gazillion plugs and apps.....is not going to give a qualified answer about "analog recording" when you consider the more upper end of the analog spectrum and how it sounds and what it offers.
That's like saying that having owned a "dog" dog most of your life renders your experiences and opinions of dogs worthless beside those of someone that has bred thoroughbreds for 15 years.
I may be way in the minority........but I don't see it that way at all. For example, I find what you've shared down the years about your studio set up as it evolves just as fascinating as the Tony Viscontis and George Martins of this world describing how they set things up in their day.
I'll go out on a limb here, and say that I think most digtital users actually prefer and shoot for "analog sounding" products in the end....looking at the types of plug-ins and emulaitons that exist in the digital world.
But at the same time, you say that most users aren't really in a qualified enough position to make that judgement through having what you imply to be substandard or non pro equipment.
There's this endless effort to make digital recordings sound like they use to when they were done with analog tape and gear in real studios. :cool:
I don't know that. I have no idea if most digital recordists are aiming for "analogue sound." Some might be, many won't be.
In the end....it comes down to price & convenience.....period.
Part of the thinking behind some of the questions was to see if that is actually true. I'm not at all convinced that that's all it comes down to.
But like our mate Joan, I'm open to persuasion !

Analog sound is what the majority of plug/apps are emulating..."analog like" is how most are advertised as....you do the math.

And yes "qualified"......because if you just want to ask who wants to go to analog *as they know it*, that's not the same as talking about *analog in place of digital* for some quality reasons and/or from any actual learned perspective.
Again....nothing "snooty" about it, but why would a "no to analog" response from someone who never really used it, or who only used in some very limited/consumer-ish analog way....have any meaning of qualification toward some final truth or answer here....?
It will be just a meaningless poll. :)

Most of the people who have never used any more involved analog.....never will....mostly because of price and convenience.

And yes "qualified"......because if you just want to ask who wants to go to analog *as they know it*, that's not the same as talking about *analog in place of digital* for some quality reasons and/or from any actual learned perspective.
Again....nothing "snooty" about it, but why would a "no to analog" response from someone who never really used it, or who only used in some very limited/consumer-ish analog way....have any meaning of qualification toward some final truth or answer here....?
It will be just a meaningless poll. :)
I guess at some point, we'll see if that's the way it pans out.

I thought it was a fun question. Not sure why someone asking simple questions rubs you guys so wrong. Why bother reading? Just to get bothered?

No, not my "opinion"....that's fact, based on all the endless analog VS digital thread debates over the years.
Rarely does a thread with both analog and digital choices NOT turn into some drawn out debate.

Just search HR.....there have been quite a few in just the last couple of years. :)
This one might die simply out of boredom ...because it's all been covered so many times before.

But really....do you have actually something to contribute to the topic....or just to make comments about why others are contributing?
You said you thought it was a "fun question".....do you have a "fun answer" for it? ;)

I'll do analog up to a point.

That point being where the analog signal meets an Analog to Digital converter. From there, I usually go digital. Though lately I noticed I am willing to go analog again and that usually happens when a Digital to Analog converter spews forth some kind of analog signal. Most times, I like listening to that. :p

But really....do you have actually something to contribute to the topic....or just to make comments about why others are contributing?
You said you thought it was a "fun question".....do you have a "fun answer" for it? ;)

I answered on the first page. I have enjoyed reading peoples responses, that's why I am still following along. I just don't understand why it seems the regulars around this site seem to judge and claim unworthy peoples questions in the newbie section. It's as if folks are only allowed to ask questions when they are up to the gate keepers' standards. And it seems when the questions are not up to those standards the person asking is open to ridicule.

It's just odd to me all the tension on this forum, and I frankly don't understand it. Is that ok for me to say?

Asking anything that has to do with analog VS digital choices is never a "simple question".
I do actually agree with this. One can never tell with absolute certainty which way a thread may go, but I did want to look at the question from a somewhat different angle. And personally, I've found it thought provoking thus far.

I answered on the first page. I have enjoyed reading peoples responses, that's why I am still following along. I just don't understand why it seems the regulars around this site seem to judge and claim unworthy peoples questions in the newbie section. It's as if folks are only allowed to ask questions when they are up to the gate keepers' standards. And it seems when the questions are not up to those standards the person asking is open to ridicule.

It's just odd to me all the tension on this forum, and I frankly don't understand it. Is that ok for me to say?

Yes, that is ok. :)

Some just enjoy arguing for the sake of it.

It is common when a question is asked that has possible debate. Not sure why people wish to debate, but it is what it is.

IMO, if it works for you, then enjoy that. I would never argue another persons personal preference.

IMO, if it works for you, then enjoy that. I would never argue another persons personal preference.
That's my stance. I have seen the paradoxes in life too often to ignore and that's why it's not about right, wrong, inferior or superior for me. I work on the basis that there's room for pretty much everything in music and so I'm fascinated by most peoples' paths and experiences.
Not sure why people wish to debate
I like debate because I'll often receive a view that is outside my current thought mode and I want to understand it, even if I don't agree with the view or practice.
I also like sharing and I do ask robust questions and argue my corner sometimes.
I love reading but of course, books and articles are one way traffic. Most of the people I know aren't really interested in talking, learning or imparting about recording and related topics so even my detractors at HR have their uses ! :D

Issues surrounding analog vs digital can never be over analysed. At one stage or another, every man woman or child will be faced with the issue of analog vs digital. Until recently considered taboo amongst polite society, analog vs digital is not given the credit if deserves for inspiring many of the worlds famous painters. Since it was first compared to antidisestablishmentarianism much has been said concerning analog vs digital by so called 'babies', who are yet to grow accustomed to its discombobulating nature. Hold onto your hats as we begin a journey into analog vs digital.

Social Factors:

Interweaving social trends form a strong net in which we are all trapped. Back when Vealinger remarked ‘the power struggle will continue while the great tale of humanity remains untold’ he globalized an issue which had remained buried in the hearts of our ancestors for centuries. While deviating from the norm will always cause unrest amongst ones peers, analog vs digital helps to provide some sort of equilibrium in this world of ever changing, always yearning chaos.

Special care must be taken when analyzing such a delicate subject. On the other hand anyone that disagrees with me is an idiot. It is intrinsically linked to adolescent inner acclimatization.

Economic Factors:

Increasingly economic growth and innovation are being attributed to analog vs digital. Of course, analog vs digital fits perfectly into the Inter-Spam model, as is standard in this case.
Interest
graph_down_1.gif

analog vs digital

Clearly the graphs demonstrates a strong correlation. Why is this? Well interest world wide are driven entirely by analog vs digital. Assumptions made by traders have caused uncertainty amongst the private sector.

Political Factors:

Much of the writings of historians display the conquests of the most powerful nations over less powerful ones. Comparing current political thought with that held just ten years ago is like comparing the two sides of analog vs digital.

We cannot talk of analog vs digital and politics without remembering the words of the famous political Bonaventure T. Time 'Man's greatest enemy is complacency with regards to personal and political hygiene.' One cannot help but agree when faced with analog vs digital, that this highlights an important issue. Both spectacular failure and unequaled political accomplishment may be accredited to analog vs digital.

One thing's certain. The Human species liberally desires analog vs digital, and what's more human than politics?

Conclusion:

In my opinion analog vs digital has, and will continue to be a major building block for the world in which we live. It establishes order, 'literally' plants seeds for harvest, and never hides.

I'll leave you with this quote from Britney Kournikova: 'You win some, you lose some, but analog vs digital wins most often.'

Reactions: PDP

Yeah, its alright to say! I think some of it is a little condescending, especially in the Newbies forum. In here you should be made to feel welcome to the forum unless you come across as an outright troll. But yeah a bit more civility in here couldnt hurt. Stick around, it gets better.

I answered on the first page.

Yes, I see....I missed it the first time I around.

Thing is....same way you didn't like Greg's comment, your follow-up comment was guilty of the same thing you complained about.

It's an open forum....people give opinions.

AFA Greg's comment....most of the regulars know why he said it and there's no mistake in it.
Honestly....I know grimtraveller wasn't looking to have an analog VS digital debate, but when I read his question, I thought the same thing...."Here we go again, another analog VS digital war is coming."

Issues surrounding analog vs digital can never be over analysed. At one stage or another, every man woman or child will be faced with the issue of analog vs digital. Until recently considered taboo amongst polite society, analog vs digital is not given the credit if deserves for inspiring many of the worlds famous painters. Since it was first compared to antidisestablishmentarianism much has been said concerning analog vs digital by so called 'babies', who are yet to grow accustomed to its discombobulating nature. Hold onto your hats as we begin a journey into analog vs digital.

Social Factors:

Interweaving social trends form a strong net in which we are all trapped. Back when Vealinger remarked ‘the power struggle will continue while the great tale of humanity remains untold’ he globalized an issue which had remained buried in the hearts of our ancestors for centuries. While deviating from the norm will always cause unrest amongst ones peers, analog vs digital helps to provide some sort of equilibrium in this world of ever changing, always yearning chaos.

Special care must be taken when analyzing such a delicate subject. On the other hand anyone that disagrees with me is an idiot. It is intrinsically linked to adolescent inner acclimatization.

Economic Factors:

Increasingly economic growth and innovation are being attributed to analog vs digital. Of course, analog vs digital fits perfectly into the Inter-Spam model, as is standard in this case.
Interest
graph_down_1.gif

analog vs digital

Clearly the graphs demonstrates a strong correlation. Why is this? Well interest world wide are driven entirely by analog vs digital. Assumptions made by traders have caused uncertainty amongst the private sector.

Political Factors:

Much of the writings of historians display the conquests of the most powerful nations over less powerful ones. Comparing current political thought with that held just ten years ago is like comparing the two sides of analog vs digital.

We cannot talk of analog vs digital and politics without remembering the words of the famous political Bonaventure T. Time 'Man's greatest enemy is complacency with regards to personal and political hygiene.' One cannot help but agree when faced with analog vs digital, that this highlights an important issue. Both spectacular failure and unequaled political accomplishment may be accredited to analog vs digital.

One thing's certain. The Human species liberally desires analog vs digital, and what's more human than politics?

Conclusion:

In my opinion analog vs digital has, and will continue to be a major building block for the world in which we live. It establishes order, 'literally' plants seeds for harvest, and never hides.

I'll leave you with this quote from Britney Kournikova: 'You win some, you lose some, but analog vs digital wins most often.'

:laughings:

:thumbs up:

Back