Workflow for producers working between two computers (Main & Laptop Computer)

Gearlife1

Hi everyone, Im looking to simplify my workflow regarding hard drives and sample storage between two computers.

Any advice, tips, and or recommendations on producing between two computers (Main Studio computer, and a mobile laptop) would be greatly appreciated. Even sharing how you manage to work between the two would be helpful.

I have a great setup on my main Mac Pro 12 Core working on all internal drives. Im running Pro Tools 12 HDX and have no problem running sessions with 100’s of tracks. On my laptop I’m running PT12 as well and my sessions and samples on 2 external drives.

Here is my issue. Whenever I update my sample library on my main computer I then have to transfer the files onto my laptops external drive. For example, whenever I update custom presets on Omnisphere I have to then export them or transfer the STEAM folder to keep the mobile drive updated. Same for many other synths and virtual instruments that I create custom presets or new audio samples for. Its very time consuming keeping my external drive and main drive in sync and up to date.

Im wondering if I can run an external drive on my main mac and still have the same speed or be able to handle large sessions like I do with the internal drive.

Same issue with sessions. If I do some edits on my laptop I then have to copy and overwrite the now old session on my main computer to continue working. Its doable but doesnt seem like the ideal workflow as I’m always having to transfer sessions rather than just working off of the same drive and keeping things organized.

So ideally id be using an external to move between my laptop and main computer using the samples and virtual instruments that I want to use on both computers. That way I have only one and not two mediums I'm constantly trying to keep in sync. Im just worried that running say the R-Series G-Tech drive on USB3.0 will not be quick enough.

Since I’m plugging into a Mac Pro 2010 I’m using USB 3.0 speeds and can’t use the Thunderbolt 2 connection. Would this be powerful enough to run omnisphere on and other large virtual instruments?

To some up everything, would switching to external drives for sessions and sample libraries be fast enough compared to the internal WD Black hard drives I'm using now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Even if people want to share their hard drive setup and what works best for them. Thank you!

My setup listed below for reference.

MAIN STUDIO SETUP:
Mac Pro Mid 2010
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6
Processor. 2 x 2.93 Ghz 6 Core Intel
Memory 24GB

Mac/System Drive
1TB SSD Western Digital

Pro Tools Sessions Drive
1TB WD Caviar Black

2 Drive for Samples and Virtual Instruments both WD Caviar Black Drives

MOBILE SETUP:
MacBook Pro 15inch Laptop Mid 2015
Sierra 10.12.6
Processor 2.8 Intel 7
Memory 16GB

External Drives:
Pro Tools Sessions Drive:
G-Tech 1tb SSD R-Series USB3.1 Type C
Using the USB-C to USB3.1 connection

Virtual Instruemnts/Samples:
G-Tech ev ATC using Thunderbolt 2 connection

I don't have any easy solution for workflow in your scenario. Ideally what it sounds like you want is to just use the laptop (with a SSD large enough to hold your projects and the external 3.1 drives for samples), then make a backup of everything to a USB drive (just to have a backup). Add a second monitor for the laptop. That decent mid range Macbook should accomplish everything you need. The desktop computer IMO isn't necessary. Even with 2 cores in the desktop, I'm willing to bet the laptop benchmarks very close to the desktop (or at least close enough you won't notice).

If the laptop doesn't have a SSD or doesn't have a large one, maybe consider moving the one from the desktop into the laptop if possible.

You may encounter some issues with larger projects running them off USB 3 on the desktop. I would expect latency inherent in moving data over USB 3 to play a role, as well as any small instructions and read delays causing glitchiness as the computer waits unexpectedly for the USB access to catchup. That said, the 3.1 type c on the laptop is likely plenty fast for what you need (mostly read instructions from the sample library in real time). Seems like we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole keeping the older desktop in the picture, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Resale on the 2010 Mac is probably still decent, you might want to start thinking about that now before that's no longer the case.

A good question(s). I have two lappies and a desktop all linked through Wi-Fi all running PT 2018 on win 7. I have all my VIs and Samples on the desktop, with the samples on an internal 4 Gig slow spinner as they are just stored there. I have been thinking about getting an external SSD to be able to move whatever I'm working on instead of copying it (I have a couple of thumb drives just for transferring) since i have been carrying iLok back and forth. With new cloud iLok though, i may not have to go external. I don't transfer complete sessions but one time though, i will just copy the Session file itself without audio plus any samples i may have added since last working. Most of the folks on the pro tools duc seem to use at least three drives: system drive , preferably SSD, audio drive, also pref SSD but can be 7200 spinner, and sample and VI library drive- fast spinner usually ok. If that's any help. Lots more info @ duc.avid.com

I have been thinking about getting an external SSD to be able to move whatever I'm working on instead of copying it (I have a couple of thumb drives just for transferring

Using a SSD in an external drive interface (Firewire or USB) is a waste, since the bandwidth of the USB or firewire interface will be your bottleneck, not the SSD/drive inside the enclosure. As interfaces get faster though this will eventually not be the case. But for now a standard platter drive will suffice, usually only needing 100MB/s (MegaByte) sustained transfer rates that the USB3 interface provides. 100MB/s is fast enough for just about any homerecording artist, but running projects over USB isn't advised for the reasons I previously posted.

Back