Wireless headphones

riotshield

Hi,

I'm planning to move my mics into the bathroom to record, but I need a pair of headphones to monitor while I'm playing. I was thinking about getting a cheap pair of RCA 900MHz wireless headphones. I was wondering if there are any unforeseen problems with this, such as interference (or something). Thanks in advance.

Why not buy some extra cables (stereo jacks) and some nifty adapter plug that will allow you to hook em up on your headphones? Kindof extensioncord that can be used for other stuff too. I got lots of em. 3, that is. :cool:

Downside: That's OK, I only need them for monitoring during recording. I'm looking into getting a pair of monitors for mixing. I just wanted to know if they could affect the recording in some weird way.

Roel: I thought about that, but I thought the wireless phones would be more convenient given the crowded space and distance from my bedroom.

I don't think you have to worry about them affecting the recording. There's alot of stronger signals in that range...

I don't know what you are recording, but good headphones for monitoring help alot. Those wireless phones won't be all that closed either... What will you be recording in there?

Sounds like a great idea to record in the bathroom!

I have tried other places around the house and found that a small closet (3X3) gave me interesting sounds in the vocals.
I have also tried recording the vocals on the back porch steps. The acoustic were great and it seemed to help the sound I was looking for.
But what I used was the extension cord idea.
Chances are if I would have been listening to my recorded instruments through a crappy headset, my vocals would have sung in a completely different way.

Spend that money towards a decent set of phones, you'll be happy you did later.

Marty

yeah....i wanted to outfit my whole studio with wireless headphones...

get like 3 pairs or something to use in the different rooms.

Surely there are decent pairs to be had for a price?

Try the JVC ones, I have a pair and they work great. I dont hafta run cable into my vocal booth, drummers can wear them without risk of them chocking themselves to death, and you can run muliple headphones off of one base, eliminating the need for a dist amp. I need to get a couple more, in fact. The upper end jvc even has a talk back feature built in.

Yo, likewise, I have the JVC wireless cans. They are fine for when you need to move around your studio while something is being recorded.

Better yet, when it's warm, I can lounge around outside and listen to the stuff I've done while downing a couple of cold ones.

There is an occasional signal glitch/off but it only lasts a few seconds and it's right back. If you walk around the refrigerator, you'll experience interference of that nature.

For the money, the JVC 900 hz cans are not too bad; however, for tracking, I always use the Beyer cans.

Some wireless cans are open and they don't work too well for vocal work, especially if you have a sensitive mic. The JVC's are closed but I don't use them, so far, for vocal work.

Green Hornet:cool: :cool: :p :p :p

I got a pair of Sennheiser cordless cans (RS-30 I believe), and they are wonderful. Very light, good response, rechargeable, and the range is great.
I use them with a cordless optical mouse as well, so I can record from a distance to my eqpt. Just get set up levels, click, and away I go.
Helps if you've got a big monitor too.:D

mike

oh, and I picked the cans up for 40 bucks Canadian brand new, so that was a big factor...

Back