windscreen vs. pop filter

So what u decided to do??
I am confused also...
I have made a pop filter with a sock...
But i m not feeling big difference in vocals....
So please suggest me something...
I m using m-audio mic..

You're asking someone to respond from an 11-year old thread.
I don't think the OP is coming back to answer you. :D

What "big difference" are you expecting in your vocal?

Foam pop-filters that cover the mic are mainly used in outdoor wind conditions.
For recording, it's mostly the round sheer pop filters.
If you use a typical recording pop-filter and you are still getting a lot of P pops...move it back a bit. About 4"-8".
Also, try turning your head just a little to one side instead of straight on the mic.

Manning, notbrad, good ideas. I paid for a pop filter that mounts directly on the mic stand, and spent $25.00 on it. Legg's panty hose are about $3.00... :o

These nylon pop filters do colour the top-end, though.

That's commercial ones as well as the DIY ones.

You're asking someone to respond from an 11-year old thread.
I don't think the OP is coming back to answer you. :D

What "big difference" are you expecting in your vocal?

Foam pop-filters that cover the mic are mainly used in outdoor wind conditions.
For recording, it's mostly the round sheer pop filters.
If you use a typical recording pop-filter and you are still getting a lot of P pops...move it back a bit. About 4"-8".
Also, try turning your head just a little to one side instead of straight on the mic.

Thnx for reply...
Can i use both???
Pop filter and windscreen??

Thnx for reply...
Can i use both???

If you really feel you need to.

You might also try using two of the round mesh pop-filters. Set them up about 1" apart from each other, and 4-8" from the mic.

Wow talk about a resurrect'.
One thing to think about.. With a wind screen (the foam ones), or a pop screen, both work better with some distance between the 'screen and the mic element.
Example; Wanted to use some CAD 179's out side (in fig-8- THE worst pattern for 'wind disturbance BTW). Knowing this, pre gig test.. Shure enough Dog awful rumble at any light air movement. Foam booty.. better but not all that much.
Same with a bit 1/4" sheet foam wrapped a few inches off the mic - Much better. (This was just crappy packing foam BTW

Thnx for reply...
Can i use both???

Not really - a wind filter works by trapping a volume of still air in front of the microphone.

A foam windshield traps thisin the cells in the foam - for a pop filter it is the distance between the filter and the mic (the longer the distance, the greater te volume of still air).

So - adding a foam windshield as well as a pop filter reduces the volume of still air and makes it *worse* than the pop filter alone.

I discussed this in depth once with the technical expert who does a lot of design work for Rycote who was tearing his hair out trying to explain to people why putting a foam windshield inside a basket windshield made wind protection worse and not better - and this is the same thing.

Back