Will i notice a difference?

slimmie01

What's up guys, I currently have an at4040 presonus eureka and a focusrite forte. Ok, the at4040 doesn't suck. I've made two good recordings with it, but for lead rap vocals it's not cutting it for me. Just doesn't sit to well with a mix.

I was looking to jump into something like the cad e100s, tlm 103, or the blue blueberry Mic. I posted on some other forums asking for reviews but everybody wanted to criticize saying maybe it's mixing, when I know what I'm hearing.

I want a Mic that's more dimensional, brings more to the table vocal wise. To be honest I'm leaning more toward the blue because the Mic is tailored to fit in a mix with little effects.

The cad got my attention because the self noise 3.7db, and has a similar freq response as the 103.

As for the neauman, well the name nuff said, plus it's some good deals on the Mic.

So any reviews on these mics and how they have worked for you guys? Once again at4040 good Mic for instruments but on vocals my ears want more.

Hmm, I am not equipped (any longer!) to judge sound quality and rap is not my thing, but on a purely technical level, the noise performance of a mic for such close work would hardly matter so long as it was better than about 30dB?

Have you tried the usual dynamics suspects from Shure and EV?

Dave.

Try as many mics of all price ranges until you find the one that works with that performer, and if it works, pay no attention to what it is or what other people think. The large diaphragm mics are designed to sound good on sound sources that benefit from their slightly pesky frequency response. Rap may well fall outside what they enhance into what they destroy? If you're now in that tricky position of hearing mic deficiencies then you now need to only buy mics you have heard or can send back. With an unknown mic never assume a sound from what they look like. Plenty of posh mics with odd designs are the same innards as more conventional ones, with a clever case!

Hey,
One thing that can really turn vocals into a struggle is unwanted, or bad sounding, ambience.
What does your room sound like. Could you post a clip of your solo vocals?

If the room isn't sounding good I'd take a look at that first, because it can make the world of difference.
Also, if you're mixing in the same room then you're doubling the problem because you're not really hearing what your mix sounds like.

Beyond that I agree with what's above. Your voice is unique and we haven't heard it so, as tricky as it may be, your best bet is to try out as many mics as you can.

To be honest I'm leaning more toward the blue because the Mic is tailored to fit in a mix with little effects.
Every mix is different so I don't really buy that.

The cad got my attention because the self noise 3.7db, and has a similar freq response as the 103.
Knowing your stats and performance figures is good, but judge a mic on how it sounds and how it works for you.

As for the neauman, well the name nuff said, plus it's some good deals on the Mic.
Again, that's cool and all but judge it on how it sounds.
Neumann make a range of mics with a range of sounds. A TLM193 wont sound like a TLM 103, you know?
One might fit you and the other may not.

Last edited:
Back