Will I damage my Tascam 244 if I use type 1 cassettes to record with?

Memory_Boy

Hi, new to this forum...

I recently purchased a Tascam 244 4-track and was wondering whether I'd be able to use Type 1 blank cassettes to record with (most likely C-60 tapes). People usually recommend Type 2 High Bias cassettes but these are quite expensive and can only be ordered online. I certainly don't want to damage my machine as it's in quite good condition (especially since most 244's are worn out/damaged 90% of the time). On the other hand I don't want to spend a small fortune every time I want to record 10-15 songs. Also I don't mind the 'lo-fi' sound at all which is what's appealing to me about the Type 1 tapes.

Has anyone had any experience with the 244? What advice would you give in regards to what tapes to use, maintenance, workflow, etc.

Hi, new to this forum...

I recently purchased a Tascam 244 4-track and was wondering whether I'd be able to use Type 1 blank cassettes to record with (most likely C-60 tapes). People usually recommend Type 2 High Bias cassettes but these are quite expensive and can only be ordered online. I certainly don't want to damage my machine as it's in quite good condition (especially since most 244's are worn out/damaged 90% of the time). On the other hand I don't want to spend a small fortune every time I want to record 10-15 songs. Also I don't mind the 'lo-fi' sound at all which is what's appealing to me about the Type 1 tapes.

Has anyone had any experience with the 244? What advice would you give in regards to what tapes to use, maintenance, workflow, etc.

No, type 1 tapes will not cause any damage whatsoever (in fact there was a scare that some of the "high energy" formulations caused accelerated head wear but I think that was mostly bllx) .

Do however buy a good brand of type One, you might not mind the poor HF response and hiss but wow and flutter from a crap mech' is pretty universally detested! Cheap cassettes can also tangle up, not fun in a car cassette!

Back in the day I liked TDK D for general music and TDK AD high biased for results very close to my favourite TDK SA (type ll very high bias) which was hard to tell from the original CD on my Sony Dolby S machine. Maxell were also very good as were BASF Chrome.

Care of machine? Keep tapes in boxes, free of dust. Invest in a bottle of ISOPROP alcohol and some 'buds*' to clean the heads and tape path. Clean the pinch roller with a clean hanky and spit. (or de-ionized water)
* Meant to say, only buy buds with "paper" stalks. The plastic ones kill wildlife.

Dave.

Last edited:
You could potentially have a problem with long term use of Type IV (metal). But standard and Cr02 aren't an issue.

If it means anything, I used to love Cr02 set to normal bias.

Back