Why is it panning the inputs seperate?

WillBran

Hey Guys,

I'm recording using a Tascom-200 and Cubecase LE 5 in stereo with my guitar plugged in and microphone. And when I record into Cubecase the inputs are both panned to a separate side. I've tried changing everything, and I can't figure it out.

Why is it a problem where the inputs are panned?

Sounds like a 2 channel only, L/R set up to me.

Now if you can't change them after recording in Cubase, then that would be a problem...

You created stereo tracks for both inputs. Don't do that, use Mono tracks instead. Then both will be centered unless you pan.

Most of the default preset setups in Cubase have Stereo input bus selected. Why? I have no friggen clue...

Sounds like you have the correct driver selected in Cubase since you are recording signal. So...

Open Cubase. Create or open a project.

Got to: Devices>VST Connections (or F4 shortcut). Select the 'Inputs' tab. Add Bus. Select 'Mono' under the Configuration tab. Select the input from your interface in the yellow margin that is created. You can make one of these for each input channel on your interface.

Now, create an 'Audio Track'.

Project>Add Track>Audio... In the 'Configuration' tab select 'Mono' from the drop down menu. Then 'Add Track'.

Now in the Inspector Window (left side of main project window) you will see two symbols that look similar to these: >] selects your input bus. [> selects your output bus. This window is separate for each added track and a new input bus must be set for each track. Otherwise the 1st created bus will be selected by default.

Select the Mono input bus you created to be used for each track.

Worry about output bus stuff later.

Hope this helps man. :)

Not to knock Cubase, but jeez that sounds complicated...

I agree.

In Reaper: Ctrl T to create a new track.
Arm the track. Record.

If you want to record from other than the first channel, select an input (or inputs) from a drop-down menu.

It really just sounds complicated without seeing it. In Cubase you can select a project preset with mono buses already setup. I was just giving him directions as to change the buses in the project he already has up.

This "Project>Add Track>Audio... In the 'Configuration' tab select 'Mono' from the drop down menu. Then 'Add Track'." Is only 4 clicks.

A Key Command can also be made to do this by assigning a key combination. I always found it odd that 'Add Track' isn't one of the default shortcuts in Cubase. I just picked a shortcut I never use, so 'shift+Q' adds a mono track for me.

Cubase is just a different animal....

Jimmy's post brings up a great process that most newbies don't use - setting up project templates/presets.

Jimmy's post brings up a great process that most newbies don't use - setting up project templates/presets.

I should do the same, I haven't really messed with templates. Most of my projects start out in the exact same ways, so I should create a template to speed up those first several steps of doing a scratch track, adding drums (and all of the multi-out tracks), adding bass, adding vocal, etc. And now I have an interface with enough inputs that I can keep everything plugged in and ready to go, so the input selections should stay the same from project to project. Hmmm...sounds like a good weekend to-do item!

I should do the same, I haven't really messed with templates. Most of my projects start out in the exact same ways, so I should create a template to speed up those first several steps of doing a scratch track, adding drums (and all of the multi-out tracks), adding bass, adding vocal, etc. And now I have an interface with enough inputs that I can keep everything plugged in and ready to go, so the input selections should stay the same from project to project. Hmmm...sounds like a good weekend to-do item!
Yeah! Big fun. Any time you make progress on sorting out your methods, add-ons' for a mix work style, what have you, 'save as', clear it out (tracks etc) and save it.
I have a few (well several- some fall by the wayside) for a few different uses.

Once you have a project setup the way you like, Delete the audio files. Remove from 'Pool' as well. Then go to File>Save as Template. It will save all of your instruments and input/output buses. Don't save the project after that as you will lose the project you are creating the template from after deleting audio and MIDI data.

Next time you open Cubase, the template that you saved (with whatever name you gave it) will be there to open. Make sure to save the new project to the folder you want to use.

:)

So now it is only recording one input, But I have add a bus in mono for both inputs?

Did you follow my instructions?

"Now in the Inspector Window (left side of main project window) you will see two symbols that look similar to these: >] selects your input bus. [> selects your output bus. This window is separate for each added track and a new input bus must be set for each track. Otherwise the 1st created bus will be selected by default.

Select the Mono input bus you created to be used for each track."

This is how it works man. If you don't follow the steps, then it won't work.

For each track you must select the input bus for it to record to. I have 24 tracks with my interfaces. That can get confusing. You have only two.

Once you have a project setup the way you like, Delete the audio files. Remove from 'Pool' as well. Then go to File>Save as Template. It will save all of your instruments and input/output buses. Don't save the project after that as you will lose the project you are creating the template from after deleting audio and MIDI data.

Next time you open Cubase, the template that you saved (with whatever name you gave it) will be there to open. Make sure to save the new project to the folder you want to use.

:)
Mmm. I'd offer after you've got the proj -and a b/u version saved and tucked away, then 'save as your template- then delete the audio.

Cubase is complicated because you can do far more than hit record. Go to the main screen, right click on where the track names will appear and create an audio track, it asks if you want mono or stereo. In the inspector box just make sure the right one of the two inputs is selected, and away you go. You don't need to use templates. In fact I created one that says empty, and I use that one the most. When you start up you see this on the right hand side of the split screen. The reason for these questions is that cubase can do so much, so it needs to know what you wish to do. Many people need to record from a single source in mono, while others normally record the output of their mixer in stereo, or every individual channel of their mixer maybe 24 or 32 at a time. Cubase is happy to do whatever you want but isn't psychic.

Mmm. I'd offer after you've got the proj -and a b/u version saved and tucked away, then 'save as your template- then delete the audio.

Also good advice. I live on the edge myself. lol

After the template is saved, it would make more sense to delete the audio files there and re-save as template. Assure that a wrong click won't destroy an existing project. I did that once...

Back