why are my songs so large in file size?

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you can keep everything in the world out there...just an alternative way for keeping things. Most people don't have near the volume you do (terabytes wow).

Sorry if this comes out wrong, but if you'd used a service you're not sure you can trust you'd still have that stuff (assuming of course you don't use some small fly-by-night company) you lost on HDs you are calling trusted backups ;) I know, I know, hindsight's 20/20, just something to think about. HDs fail; it's a question of time. But companies are constantly replacing HDs after awhile and have backups to backups as well so the odds of you losing data w/them is IMO much smaller. But there's cost, so trade-offs either way. (And I do backups on external HDs also) I guess I'm lucky; I won't ever crank out anywhere near 15GB of stuff, even at 50MB a pop.

I hear you man. That may be fine for you and that is totally ok.

I personally do not trust nor do I have the desire to use a cloud service. Just me tho. Oh, and edited here. I did also hear some bad things about 'Carbonite' not actually storing in a manner that would actually allow say 'Cubase' to pull up files correctly in a folder. The info would be saved, but heard stories that files were not backed up in order. That also scared me. Not worth the risk.

And in the 4 years since the losing of those drives, I have spent hundreds less in equal amount of data saving ability. And feel confident now. I now have backups for backups that are not subject to a service limitation of a cloud service. You should also realize the upload time for a backup to cloud via internet as opposed to just saving to a new drive is about 98% faster with a drive. Just save project folder to new drive with new name. A few seconds or minute later, done.

That all being said, the fact that two of my drives (not the two OS drives in RAID1, these were a projects drive and it's backup) died in the same day. Complete platter destruction here on both, were likely related to some type of voltage spike or something that was never found by Data Recovery Services. They only offered to find a way to retrieve data. BTW, at a cost of about $1200 each at the time. No reason can be found for the direct failures. So, I now have two drives that do not connect to any power source only USB power for backup while backing up. The internal ones obviously run much faster because they are connected SATA instead of USB3. But there are 4 of them and I have a good UPS unit to make sure I don't get voltage spikes or power outages.

Just my way of keeping sane now.

Last edited:
Back