White Noise in Monitors

MattyJones

Hello. I'm having what I'm pretty sure is a minor issue with my JBL studio monitors. I've been getting loud white noise from them at times when they should be playing sound. Things like Twitter and Facebook alerts will pop up and instead of the non-intrusive little bleeping noises, it's LOUD white noise. This sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. It also happens sometimes with playback of mp3s, mp4s, and streaming audio/video. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

(Using MacBook Pro, M-Audio MBox Mini usb interface)

Thanks,
Matty

Last edited:
What device are you using as your default audio device? Some interfaces get weird about being the default Windows audio devices, because the change in sample rate between what's specified by your ASIO control panel versus what's specified by Windows as the default sample rate cause weird things to happen.

One remedy for this is to use your on-board sound chip as the default Windows device, so your interface can live a life free of constantly changing sample rates every time you switch from your DAW to another app.

But some interfaces do not peacefully co-exist with on-board sound chips, so that could cancel out this workaround.

When I was having troubles, I took note of the sample rate that I usually recorded at, then changed Windows' default sample rate to match. That seemed to alleviate my troubles at the time, by allowing my interface to work at the same sample rate almost all of the time.

Also, I always turn system sounds off. Nothing worse that working at pre-master levels and then having a full-volume bleep or bloop nearly scare the crap out of me.

Well I'm using an M-Audio MBox Mini, but I'm also using a Mac, not Windows. I noticed the input sensitivity switch on the back, as well as the LF trim and HF trim switches. I haven't touched them at all. I've had the monitors for a few weeks now and just noticed them. Not sure if those have anything to do with it or not, I somehow doubt it. :/

There's got to be some settings in your OS audio causing this. Maybe a MAC person can suggest something. Certianly nothing to do with the JBLs themselves.

Hi,
This isn't something I've experienced, but the audio device settings are found in Utilities>Audio/Midi Setup.

You have basic device selection options in System Preferences>Sound, but A/M setup is where you can adjust sample rates etc.

Go there and set every single device (input and output, including any aggregate devices, bluetooth devices, sound flower etc) to the sample rate at which you record.
If you're not sure, check the settings of one of your recording sessions for reference.

If you're using the mbox as your global audio device, which would make sense, set it as such in A/M setup.
There are three options, not two. Input device, output device, and system sounds device. Make sure it's set for all three. :)

I dunno...that might help.

Beyond that, just make sure the drivers for the interface are up to date and make sure that the interface is genuinely compatible with your version of OS X.

Back