Where's that "sweet spot", in the kitchen?

digiboy

I am really REALLY new to this whole science of near field monitors and mixing. I just popped for a set of JBL LSR 25's after a couple of lectures here and some further research and finally hearing them. I'll be getting to know them by playing CD's for a few weeks while I get the finances together for either a Korg D1600 or an Akai DPS16 (Probably the Korg)

According to JBL these LSR25's are supposed to have a larger "sweet spot" than most near fields. Well when I listen to them at ear level and the precise recommended point of an equilateral 4 foot triangle....obviously they sound great. The thing is that ANY slight movement away from that point does change the sound somewhat, they still sound great but there is change. So how critical is it? What deteremines this "sweet spot?"

In fact moving several feet off axis they still sound terrific and there is increasing amounts of audible low end but I'm not sure I should consider that part of it when I get down to actual mixing.

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you don't get any joy here in the newbies forum, try posting this in a day or two in the mixing forum. Satisfaction guaranteed, or your money cheerfully refunded.

What do CDs sound like through the JBLs BTW?

They sound like Cd's through JBL's! HAHA

The sweet spot is a drawback for most near fields. I suggest that you don't bob your head or move and you'll be fine.:D

Back