Where to place desk in homestudio

Twelvish

I've got a couple questions about building my own home studio. I've got a rectangular room thats 3,63 meters by 2,37 meters. There is a window on the far side of the room in the middle of the 2,37 meters wall. Where should I place my desk? Against the window? Facing the window with some space between it? If you guys need a picture or layout of the room I will post that but I'm not there right now so I'm not able to post it this moment.

A diagram is worth a million words, but you'll need to have a minimum number of posts here to attach one.
Definitely on one of the 2.37 meter walls, unless there are other factors (like door openings, etc).

The received wisdom is that you place your monitor speakers 38% of the long room dimension from the 'back' wall. Then your seating position and therefore desk position fall into place.

However, that is a tiny room! About 11' by 7' ? You would probably be best to rely on some really good headphones for most of your work and just check with speakers from time to time.

Dave.

The received wisdom is that you place your monitor speakers 38% of the long room dimension from the 'back' wall.

No...that percentage number applies to your seated position, where your head would be from the front wall...
...and that is really just a starting point, not an absolute rule. Sometimes you move everything a little forward or back and it just sounds better, other times you have to deal with room constraints, the computer desk and/or console...etc.

No...that percentage number applies to your seated position, where your head would be from the front wall...
...and that is really just a starting point, not an absolute rule. Sometimes you move everything a little forward or back and it just sounds better, other times you have to deal with room constraints, the computer desk and/or console...etc.

Well I couldn't remember the exact figure (and I bet it gets misquoted endlessly!) so I Google and I got 38% for the speakers!

Anyway, as you say, all is up for experiment and in that room the best thing is to get out of it.

Dave.

"Perfect world" would be speakers at 38 and listener at opposing 38. Did that in a [SELF-CENSORED] room once. Was still [SELF-CENSORED] but it was about as that room could get.

I am curious as to why one would need acoustic treatment directly behind the monitors. Bass traps in corners yes, but I myself have never heard that this was a concern in regards to reflections from the monitors themselves.

Please elaborate on how that is necessary. It does not make sense from what my research and experience has shown. Then I am not up against a wall.

My monitors are about 4' from the wall behind in a 35' long room.

I am curious as to why one would need acoustic treatment directly behind the monitors. Bass traps in corners yes, but I myself have never heard that this was a concern in regards to reflections from the monitors themselves. Please elaborate on how that is necessary. It does not make sense from what my research and experience has shown. Then I am not up against a wall.

"The area between the speakers and the front wall, is the highest pressure area in the room. That’s the area where you have the most low-frequency problems. So putting sound absorption technology between the speakers and the front wall is a great idea. However you must use technology that works-off of pressure and not air movement. For example, foam works-off of air movement, the air strikes the foam, goes through the foam and as it goes through the foam it creates friction, the air moving through the foam creates friction.

The friction then is created and you have an energy transformation or an energy change. We don’t destroy or create energy, we just change its form and that’s how we get absorption. Low-frequency energy, bass if you will, will take the foam and brush past it. It doesn’t even see the foam, just runs right over it.

So that’s why you can’t use foam for pressure management and managing the low end. Instead you have to use special technology that’s designed to deal with pressure and not air movement. So putting absorption on the front wall is great, especially behind the speakers, but it must be the kind of technology that deals with pressure. What are they? Helmholtz, diaphragmatic and membrane. Those are our only three that we can use".

JSYN, I can cross reference verification by some of the worlds leading experts, who deal with sound pressure as well as how it should be treated. The above three paragraphs were taken from this article. Dennis is very well sought after, for his advice as well as his expertise in this area. For anyone who may disagree with or a reason to dispute this information, you will get better results by taking it up with him directly.

I personally would avoid having the windows behind or to either side, so I would put the desk in front of the window so the monitors are pointed away. Reflection of sound off glass is undesirable.

Your room is on the small side. I would set things up and tinker, asking where to put the desk is a good first step but what will need to be done next is specific to your space, equipment, and needs.

Hello,

I actually mix in a small room like this (little bigger) and I found better to have the monitor direction like in the diagram posted by Mack Caster. Don't know if I respect any of 38% but it work good like this.
For Windows reflection at my right side, I probably have near the same matter with a glued and very polished wood cupboard doors at my left side.
But I have a real and unregular wooden cathedral ceiling and maybe this give another diffusion, maybe more cool for my ear... I don't know.

A thing I would do is buy Hofa curtain but waiting for the right item on sale.
Know I have to move house so I wait for what I will found in the new one.

A thing read here and important too me is the use of phone for mix, and monitors only for check.
Sometimes I do this way. It work good, but stereo always need correction while phone give an easelier listning of everything (not necessary where things was, but just and first ear them).
Sometimes I do the opposite way. It work good too, my monitor give a real good stereo location of each sound and probably better frequency management than my phone. But my untreated room make my ear weary faster so I the more I work on a mix the same day, the less I am sure about my frequency choice.

Compromises is actually a real rule too me. I experiment with each and other way to do, and what I choose know is to follow of my mood depending what I had to work on... the pleasure to follow my mind and change it on my only request is actually the better way I found to work good and keep pleasure to do it.

Home that this way will change to somethings better the day i can have a real mixing room, not necessary bigger or full of good stuff. But with acoustic treatments just make my ear not weary too fast :thumbs up:

See you
seb

I actually mix in a small room like this (little bigger) and I found better to have the monitor direction like in the diagram posted by Mack Caster.

Just so you know seb, all the math goes out the window, if our room does not meet the specs. Sometimes it is best to shove the mons to the wall, and treat behind them. Confusing, I know. I hate math to. Every room has it's own requirements.

Opmetingen studio.jpg

Allright guys, first off thank you for all the reactions.

This is a layout of the room. I know it's far from ideal but sometimes you have to work with the things you have. With the layout in mind, do you have any suggestions on where and how to place my equipment?

P.S. The red stripe on the opposite wall from the door is a window, which I'm willing to cover with some wood and put some foam panels on it.

You're working with a very small space, so there's really only one option with the closet being there (use the wall opposite the closet). The wall near the door is not going to work because you need to allow for entry/space to walk into the room. The Window wall is probably too small because of the closet, and if you need to get into the closet it's also a no-go.

If you could remove the closet that would be ideal, then you can use the window wall (as I had previously suggested, for the reason(s) I suggested).

I'm okay with not using that part of the closet if the desk is going there. Because that was my first thought I just placed all the stuff I don't need on a daily basis in that part of the closet.

I can't remove the mirrors, they are custom made and an integral part of the closet. I might be able to put some foam panels on one of the doors so the sound can be absored properly.

Your space is kind of screwed from the start man. Don't waste money on foam dude.

Make the best of what you have. Spend money on really good headphones and take the time to listen on other systems. Did I just say that? ...

It looks like you are just going to have bigger issues than headphones to deal with in that space. Does not mean you wont get good results. Just going to be much less than ideal.

Best to you man. See what happens by trying. :)

Back