where to make one's songs available on the web?

number six

Hello,
I have been working with protools, making some demo songs, and now I'm thinking to put them "out there" to be accessible. Here on the forum people do this in different ways. Is one 'platform' (eg, you tube, different file sharing sites) particularly good from the musician/writer/producer standpoint? As in, organized by musicians for musicians type of thing, with little potential for exploitation/manipulation?

For right now, I have a few "other people's songs" that are in fact Christmas carols, on you tube. Somehow, this does not seem entirely satisfactory. I would rather pay some reasonable and fair fee to be able to place my material without restrictions, hidden nonsense, claims of someone else now suddenly owns the material, etc.

Thanks for any insights, and will also review the "marketing" forum.

No matter what website you put your music on, someone can 'steal' it by simply recording the streaming audio.
With that said, SoundCloud tends to see more of this (with music ending up on Asian sites for streaming/downloading).
Bandcamp allows listeners to download in multiple formats, and has some good user features (like setting how many 'free' plays someone a get,. and setting your own prices) - and its free, they just take % of any sales.
Reverbnation and Bandmix allow MP3 uploads and have some other features.
There's also Soundclick.
Of course starting your own website with an audio player is a good idea, too.

Last edited:
We were gonna go the band camp route and maybe post links to it from Facebook or whatever. It just seems like the best option. IMHO

Apparently they get your tunes to all of the major streaming and download services like iTunes,etc. and it's only $20/year and you get to keep 100% of all of your sales. If I was at the point where I felt I had some stuff that was ready to be released I would probably use this service myself./QUOTE]

I think I know what you mean but this^might be misleading to some...obviously your not gonna get 100% of your sales with iTunes, ect. involved.

Hey mjb, do you have info on this you could share? Thanks

Not much more than I already said. I did a google search for some of my stuff, and found even a copy of the 1/2 hour radio show I was on (on my SC) hosted on some foreign site.

Not much more than I already said. I did a google search for some of my stuff, and found even a copy of the 1/2 hour radio show I was on (on my SC) hosted on some foreign site.

I've found some of my material found elsewhere like that. I doubt it was more than an aggregate website collecting anything it could. It seemed more like an ocean of random files than a concerted attempt at 'using' my music in some way for profit. I even doubt a single human being utilized their capture of my music in any way.

BTW, if you start to sign up for DistroKid and then quit at the payment screen, they'll send you an e-mail that lets you get 35% off the first year...$12.99. :D

Replies to commenters, thank you

Hello, and appreciate all who comment! Thank you.

MJB: I like your bandcamp and own website--the latter is like what I imagine. Easy to sample your overall sound and zoom in on particular tune. You have good consistent body of work. Your other thoughts also help orient me on some of the pitfalls, experiences one might have.

CLEARED to land: distro kid site is very persuasive, and "boots" things up to a higher level, in that it goes to multiple platforms. I like the idea of this--Could/would something like this be your ONLY approach. I am all for one integrated deal. I realize most people would have other presence, web site, facebook, etc.

3 heaven: That seems like an integrated approach. But you have to do some publicity, get people to be interest and to go to one or the other place, too? As with the distro kid, and maybe cd baby, there may be some "new stuff" label as you first put something there, but this goes away quickly. Regarding not get 100%, understood. I think it is fair to pay something to have this incredible access one gets, even in principle, from internet.

Manslik: I think you are saying something like, to MJB, "there is no such thing as bad publicity?" Like, if they are taking your stuff, kind of flattery, but also, potentially someone knows about it? I may be misunderstanding this one, though. Yet no matter, the picture that starts to emerge is all this semiconductor memory scattered around the world in somewhat unimaginable quantities, holding all this material--Toledo! Better stop thinking about this or everything seems like drop in so-called "bucket!"

Pinky: agreed, and more impetus to consider variety of human motives that embrace not only making art (efacts) or cultural products like song or audio track, but the urge to consolidate, collect, etc.

Thanks again and I consider these comments (and any futur ones) carefully in determining which way to go.

Back