Where do I hook up mixer to soundcard??

lisstune

Hi,

I'm a voiceover artist, hubby's a guitarist/composer and I'm trying to put together a system that I can do voiceovers on and he can do multi-tracking on and I'm really in the dark about most of this stuff.
My pc info: Pentium III/500MHz... 128 meg ram... 12 gig hard drive(not SCSI unfortunately)... zip drive for storing audio files... Soundblaster PCI128 sound card.

We are currently looking at the Mackie 1202 mixer and Cool Edit Pro software for now, and are also planning to install an internal CD burner. We already have some decent mic's (Electrovoice RE-20 for my voiceover work and several SM-57's and 58's)

My dumb questions are: How the heck do we hook the Mackie mixer up to the soundcard for recording and playback??

Can we use the soundcard we have now or do we need another one with more bells and whistles??

What other stuff are we going to need to accomplish a bit of home PC recording?

Thanks,

Melissa

For best results and cleanest production work you should seriously consider an audio interface. An audio interface is much like a sound card, actually it is one.. just with those whistles and bells specifically made for this deal. For about $550 Korg has a wonderful show called the Korg 12/12. It gets you from mixer to PC in perfect harmony.
But theres more. If you folks are looking at boards and interfaces I have a suggestion. Not an entirely cheap one, but a good one. Ensoniq Paris has a package that offers a board, interface and stand up software. it's um.. about $2500. but its nice! cakewalk and peavey just put a similar deal together for about 800. But I hate cakewalk myself. I thnk they should give a free bottle of asprin with every cakewalk purchase.

Hi all,

Thanks for replying to my post... After doing some reading here (thanks so much for this site Dragon!!), I've decided to go ahead and spring for the DMAN 2044 for now... Would have loved one of the Gina's or Layla's, but I've spent so much already on a mixer, software etc... And I'm still searching for a good deal on an Electrovoice RE-20 mic...

Thanks again,

Melissa in Tennessee

Back