Where Do I Begin!!

MCB703

Hey everyone! My name is Mike. I've been on the 'beat making' bandwagon for about a year now, and have been thoroughly enjoying it, so much so that I have decided to pursue a career as an audio engineer. I've been a musician for most of my life, and have a love for music, but my skills are not up to par. I know my way around logic pro, but to be honest, I don't have a solid understanding of how to properly mix and master a track. I honestly don't even know where to begin, so my question would be, where do I begin learning how to engineer sound? What are some things I should know right off the bat?

Thank you in advance to anyone on this thread! I greatly appreciate the help and support.

Hey everyone! My name is Mike. I've been on the 'beat making' bandwagon for about a year now, and have been thoroughly enjoying it, so much so that I have decided to pursue a career as an audio engineer. I've been a musician for most of my life, and have a love for music, but my skills are not up to par. I know my way around logic pro, but to be honest, I don't have a solid understanding of how to properly mix and master a track. I honestly don't even know where to begin, so my question would be, where do I begin learning how to engineer sound? What are some things I should know right off the bat?

Thank you in advance to anyone on this thread! I greatly appreciate the help and support.

Focus on EQs and compressors first. Learn how they can be used , learn their knobs/settings, what they're doing, how they sound etc.

Once you get a good grasp of them, find why there are lots of models, if and why there are differences between them.
(tip: there are :rolleyes: some compressors sound differently to each other when you drive them nuts).

Then move on time-based effects like Delay and Reverb.
You don't need to feed these effects with shitty signal frequencies if you don't know how to EQ and compress first, and most importantly.. Record correctly.

If you record correctly (or choose when a sample is considered to sound good or not from the start) then your post-process should be less (and that's a good thing).
You mentioned that you're into beat making so I suppose choosing samples would be the way to get your sources.

So... to sum up:

SOURCE IS EVERYTHING -> EQ, Comps, Saturators -> Reverbs / Delays -> special effects if needed

This is not a holy "learning" chain. Feel free to change it each person learns differently.

Back