When I record there is a weird buzzing sound

That's an odd one - I'd wonder about it being a driver issue - but the regular puttering sound makes me also think about a power supply issue. The question probably shifts towards what the phantom adapter is connected to? A proper pre-amp, or balanced input on a mixer, or what? You're not trying to connect to an unbalanced 3.5mm input on a computer are you? That's always prone to horrible noises and endless trouble when you try to unbalance the balanced mic connection as it can really load some phantom adaptors that can't cope with one leg being shorted to ground - which you have to do with an unbalanced input. I suspect the mic and phantom adaptor are OK - and the issue is with the input. Can you explain exactly what you are doing, how the kit is connected and the type of cable and connectors

I plug my mic to the phantom adaptor via XLR cable. Then, I plug my phantom adapter to my computer using a XLR cable and a XLR female to USB cable. I am guessing that I need a pre-amp. Is that right?

I plug my mic to the phantom adaptor via XLR cable. Then, I plug my phantom adapter to my computer using a XLR cable and a XLR female to USB cable. I am guessing that I need a pre-amp. Is that right?

This problem is cropping up more and more often. People are buying phantom power supplies in the expectation that they will also be a mic pre amp and in some cases even an Audio Interface! They are not, they simply supply the 48 volts DC (and some don't even do THAT properly!).

What you need friend is a USB interface. This will come with pre amp, 48V power and the analogue to digital converter you need (and the D2A for harkening unto recordings). Sad to say the PSU you have bought is now redundant.

You don't say what you need the mic for? If recording songs and you want to build tracks, go for an AI. However, if you are into Podcasts or just YT stuff you might find a small USB mixer better suits your purpose but DO look for the latest generation of 24 bit mixers. I can recommend the Soundcraft Notepad 8FX.

Dave.

Back