What speakers are right for me?

Mevans6245

Hey guys ! I'm looking to upgrade my speakers. I'm a casual guitar player. I dont do too much recording or mixing other than throwing a guitar track over a backing track from time to time. My question is would I still benefit more by getting some decent monitors or just going with a basic speaker setup for my PC? I like a little more bass in my tones and I like to play loud. I was looking at the KRK rokit 5 and two small 5" speakers doesn't seem as if they would be very loud or give off a "full" sound. Some imput would be awesome and I'm sure I'll have a few more questions..

The KRK's are not bad for volume, but not good for mixing.

Since you are not looking for that I would suggest something with a larger driver and more power if you like things loud and with more low end. Try finding used KRK G2 8's if you want volume with low end. The 5's are not going to make you happy IMO. And from experience with both.

Cool ! I don't want to throw down decent bucks on some monitors for it not to be what I'm looking for. Trying to get the best quality sound from my guitar and stay somewhat versatile. I will be doing mild mixing like I said but overall looking for a quality sound. Just not too sure if I'm not better off getting a nice speaker system from best buy or some place and making that work for me. Hope this isn't the wrong place for these questions..

Not the wrong place at all.

I am just giving advice from what I have used myself. The KRK 5's were very hyped in the low end and not very loud. The 8" ones were quite loud, but still hyped in the low end. Mixes did not translate outside of my studio so well, but they are also much less money than what I use now.

That being said, for how you explain what you are looking for, I would call them a reasonable choice. Much better IMO than computer speakers from Best Buy. - Which is never the best place to purchase...

What's your budget?

Wasn't planning on going too far above $400. I did find 2 KRK 8s Gen3 with a patch plus monitor controller, 2 isolation pads, and 4 XLR cables for $559. A bit of a stretch past what I was wanting to spend but it looks like a solid deal to me.

Back