What sampler?

dannymix

Im going to buy my first sampler soon but am not quite sure what sampler to get?
I have been making music for some time now with synths and computer and dont want a entry level sampler thats going to limit me a month down the line.
I produce Dance,Techno,Trance and am running out of sounds.

First of all how do I use a sampler as compared to a synth? I know you can map out the sounds across the keyboard but theres so many things that I need to know before diving in and spending all my money.

I was looking at somthink like a Yamaha A4000?

Thanks Danny.

This won't help much for your sampler inquiry but....... A cheap way of obtaining new sounds, is change old ones... if you've got a synth this is easy... And if your not a techie, and can't be bothered making sounds.... change existing ones.... Run some piano through a distortion pedal.... add a flanger to some horns..... etc...... put some delay on some bells, while adding chorus at the same time.... stuff like that.....Joe

Good advice above, from a salsa-hater

Ensoniq EPS-16 sampler.... (If you can find on that still works)... are great, for about $400, and have a 16 track sequencer....Fuck, im getting old... I remember when the EPS was fresh, and advertised in all the magazines......that was 1990ish...Joe

I think a middling PC with a decent audio interface running Gigastudio is a very attractive option...

Yep.. if you don't need a built in sequencer you should check out some software samplers.

Gigasampler/Gigastudio and Speedsoft Virtual Sampler and both worth looking at. Virtual Sampler can load heaps of different formats (akai, SF2 etc). They both kick the whoopsy out of my poor old Roland S-50 :)

I don't know if this helps (and I've already posted this opinion elsewhere) but I bought the Boss Sp-303 sampler recently and I recently returned it. I was in the market for a relatively inexpensive sampler as I had not used a sampler before. I found the sp-303 difficult to use and limited in its capabilities. I was hoping to do some cool stuff on my current mixtape. The sp-303 is okay if you just want to record and playback but the effect were really week. Hope this helps.

A sequencer sequences MIDI data -- in other words, records it, allows it to be editied, and played back to a MIDI synth or sampler or other device. In recent years most sequencing software has added digital audio into the same application environment, so "digital multitrack recording system" is probably a more sensible name. Cakewalk, Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer, Studio Vision are all examples of sequencers. There are also sequencers built into many synth/sampler keyboards (often called "workstations") and even stand-alone hardware boxes.

I already have a sequencer Im using Cubase 32 v5 Im using a JV1080 with a Exp techno board and a Korg X5.

I do get your point about making your own sounds but the kind of sounds I want are analog raw TB303 basses and so on.

I mite just get a Access Virus rack and get a sampler later on?

Thanks for all of your comments.:)

Back