What is S/PDIF

Wiki will cover it better than I can, but basically, it's a stereo digital format.

It won't work unless you connect it to another device with spdif in/out.

Some preamps and effects units have spdif I/O, so if you bought a 2 channel preamp with spdif out, you could use it to add two more mic preamp channels to your interface.

Finally my recording school pays off....it stands for sony phillips digital interface. Basically it's two track digital transfer over RCA cable

I had a few effects units with spdif, and still have two behri amp modellers with spdif out.
Don't look at me like that....... They were free. :P

I have an old tascam portable dat with spdif out, which comes in handy sometimes too.

Put it this way, Spdif has been handier to have than I ever thought it would be.

Someone's bitter, didn't drink your Ensure today?

EDIT: sorry its my time of the month, didn't see your BOLDing of my quote my bad

lol, whoops. I edited that.
I just meant that spdif can be over lightpipe or other types of connector; Not just Rca.

I guess school didn't pay off I didn't know that spdif could be use in a to slink manner as well, I guess I always just assumed that ADAT 8ch was the only thing that lightpipe was used for, thanks for the enlightenment. But am I correct in assuming that in real world applications that spdif is mostly RCA and ADAT is mostly only toslink?

Yeah, i think more often than not, that's what you'll see.

My alesis q2 had optical spdif I think.
I vaguely remember being pissed off about it.

You'll see it on loads of consumer gear too like home dolby cards and stuff.
Optical s/pdif definitely seems to be the less common option though.

DO NOT try to use S/PDIF with any random combination of bit depth and sampling frequency or you will be facing a lockup situation. Had to do a full restore on my MPX-1 when I applied the wrong I/O from my Lynx to the Lexi way back when.

Just sayin'...

Back