What recording equipment do I need?

Newbie_wife

My husband wants to start recording his music. He writes/sings his own songs and plays acoustic and electric guitars. His birthday is coming up (soon!) and I need help in what kind of recorder to buy for him. What is a low-end (temporary) option and what is a good long-term option? pls help!!!

Low-end is in the eye of the beholder. The cheapest 2 decks that I know of are the Fostex X-77 and the TASCAM Porta 02 and both are below $200 street price. For the future...how much $$ do you have? Like most pursuits, you can spend all your mortgage money or you can get something reasonable.

this isn't a recording device but you might want to consider getting a pod from line six. it is like having sixteen different amps in a box. they go for around three hundred...just an idea.

Thanks for all the advice on recording equipment for my husband's birthday. I got him a Tascam Porta02 and it is perfect. Exactly what we needed, just something to get him started. Thanks!!

Depends, of course, on what you want to spend. Let's go the cheap route to start with.

Your post mentioned only a recorder. Realistically, you'll need more gear than that.

You and he will want to start with either a cassette or digital 4-track machine. Then you'll need mikes or a direct-input device, to record the guitar sound; and an amp and speakers to play it back through; plus a second recorder to mix it down and master to. A CD player is great to have if he wants to record himself playing against CD backing tracks.

Assuming you know all that... check out buying clean used equipment. Used 4-track cassette recorders - good ones, like the Tascam 424 - are coming down to $200-$250 used. People are ditching them in droves because low-end digital is getting so cheap.

I started on a clean used Tascam 424 ($200)and hock-shop amp, speakers, and an old stereo cassette deck for mixdown. Total cost, $500 out the door.

E-mail me and I'll send you my standard "article" on the gear you need to get going - on the cheap - in home recording. I am a regular on the H-C Guitar Forum, and I saved the piece because I kept getting so many requests for it.

The "Line6 POD" that another user mentioned is a terrific piece of gear for direct recording of electric guitars. Highly recommended for electrics, but you mentioned recording acoustics too. You'll need a mike for those.

Beware and take care - this hobby is addictive! I ended up getting a low-end 4-track digital MiniDisc recorder ($500 used) and better monitors and a better amp and a POD and...

K-wey
barrefly@hotmail.com

Back