what to purchase

sewellnc

hey guys i just joined this site specifically to ask for help with what everyone thinks i should buy. my friends and i have been playing music for about 5 years or so and have developed our own "band" and would like to buy some type of interphase or mixer to plug in some mics to record our drums bass guitars vocals and keyboard to my pc. I know some about software such as cubase and protools but i have no idea what type of device i should buy to record with. what are the differences between an interface and a mixer board with mic inputs on it? we probably want about 12 or so inputs so we could record at the same time. it would really help me to just hear some recommended interfaces, mixerboards, mics, and so on that could be used to start laying down good tracks. thanks

That's actually a hard one with 1K being your budget if you need mics, cables, software, headphone amp/Mixer etc etc....
But if your just looking for a 12+ input interface that's not so unrealistic. So what do you already have?

and also, once you're in, its an addictive habit, buying gear that is, and its very difficult to back out of. ;) lets see what you guys have already and then we'll go from there.

do you guys have quality instruments?

first lesson; a recording is only as good as its source, ie, $100 guitars and $50 practice amps won't sound like a les paul and a marshall half stack on a recording.

crappy cymbals and drums sound crappy on a recording too.

this goes for talent as well. a weak player sounds weak on a recording too.

ok! bring it on! whatchu got!

TragikRemix said:
and also, once you're in, its an addictive habit, buying gear that is, and its very difficult to back out of.

Oh so true! I've spent around 3k this year alone on stuff I really had to have but DIDN'T NEED, just couldn't pass up a good deal though...lol
Who needs a place to live when I have a new compressor!?!? :D

I would say that we have quality instruments...My friend uses a taylor acoustic guitar...and a fender stratocaster.....the other guitarist uses a gibson sg and im not sure what kind of bass my other friend uses. I play drums and right now am using a Mapex m series set with sabian and zildjian cymbals...i just wanted to find possibly the easiest way to lay down some decent tracks to record our music

Back