What order should I turn things on/off?

Vneeuq

Hi there, I post piano/vocal music on Youtube and up until a month ago, all I had for equipment was a cheap $100 MAudio usb mic and my MacBook Pro. I needed a better quality sound for my vocals so my husband just surprised me with an Avantone CV-12. I just purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface as well to connect it to my Mac. I realize this is probably very basic, but my question is, what order should I plug everything in and turn stuff on? I’ve been reading a bunch of forums for hours and have found conflicting opinions. I really don’t want to ruin any of my new equipment and I can’t seem to find out anywhere in what order I should turn on the power supply for my mic. Thank you in advance for any help!

The microphone power supply effectively isolates it from the interface powering on/off so I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. If I have a phantom power mic plugged in, and I think about it, I turn that off before the interface (which I rarely turn off since it's driving the monitors even if not recording). And, conversely, I'd turn on phantom power after the interface was on, but I really don't think it's of big significance these days.

Plugging in should always be done before turning it on, and turn things off before unplugging ;)

Thank you so much! Is it ok if my computer is on when I plug in or should I have that off too before I turn everything on?

Thank you so much! Is it ok if my computer is on when I plug in or should I have that off too before I turn everything on?
It shouldn't matter there, either, but I'd probably connect the Scarlett completely and then power it on, since it has a power switch. There's really no need to disconnect everything unless you have to to recover the space. I'd just power everything down and unplug the USB cable at the computer, i.e., if it's a laptop and you need to be able to move it. Otherwise leave everything connected.

If the computer is off I’d probably make sure the interface is connected and on first so it’s recognized during boot up. Modern hardware and operating systems should handle plug/unplug of USB devices without problems but I try to make it easier for the OS if I can.

... what order I should turn on the power...

Generally...and from the all-analog gear days...you follow your signal flow to power up.
So if you have a power mic...a preamp...a console...the monitors... that's the order, monitors last, to minimize any power "THUMPS".
To power off...you go in reverse of your signal flow.

When you toss a computer and interface in there...I don't think it matters when the computer goes on, but generally, I still flow the common signal flow even with my analog/digital gear setup.
Bottom line, you're not really going to damage stuff...but you can get some nasty noise if your monitors are like on first, and you have an open mic feeding a preamp...and then you power that up into monitor that's turned up high...etc.
Following the common signal flow lets you stage it...always going downstream in sequence.

Nice mic! In good company I see? >Taylor Swift Speak Now |.

I am with the others, leave what you need connected and just bang it on/off. You might like to leave the monitors last as you can, as said get some thumps and bangs through them as stuff settles. My (well for son really) gear is turned on from a 13A double outlet. "Click, click, job done. That rig now is a desktop PC, NI KA6 interface and a pair of Tannoy 5A monitors. Been doing that for at least 8 years, no problem.

The mic is a valve jobby and so I would give that a good couple of minutes to warm up/stabilize before committing your magnum opus. It also has a healthy output (-35dBV) and the smaller F'rites are not known for a lot of headroom so you might find you heed the 10dB attenuator engaged and if you are a real "belter" maybe invest in a 20dB XLR inline mic attenuator?

Dave.

Nice mic! In good company I see? >Taylor Swift Speak Now |

Of course...you have to take note that he has "endorsement deals with Logic, Avantone, Apogee and PRS guitars" ... :)
...also, while it only took them only 5 hours to record the one demo in his home studio...he then says, "After that we worked on the track for another four months, off and on, and spent $30,000 to make sure it sounded perfect in the real world.” :D
Not to mention the list of other high-end gear he used.

So there's a lot more to it than that microphone...and you have to wonder how much he got from Avantone to promote it. ;)

Of course...you have to take note that he has "endorsement deals with Logic, Avantone, Apogee and PRS guitars" ... :)
...also, while it only took them only 5 hours to record the one demo in his home studio...he then says, "After that we worked on the track for another four months, off and on, and spent $30,000 to make sure it sounded perfect in the real world.” :D
Not to mention the list of other high-end gear he used.

So there's a lot more to it than that microphone...and you have to wonder how much he got from Avantone to promote it. ;)

So cynical (but true!)

BTW wrt powering monitors, if the power outlets are buried along with the dust and spiders, invest in a set of wireless mains switches. These can be used to switch on the monitors remotely and last and also have the benefit that if you get a power outage they fail 'off'.

Dave.

I think Miroslav mentioned the only important thing. The danger from powering up and down is from transient thumps which could damage a speaker, although I have never had any issues myself. Plugging an phantom powered mic into active and turned up mic channel guarantees a easy crack, so if you are into protectivity, your loudspeakers if active types, or power amp if not, should be the last on, and the first off. I'm clearly a Luddite - and apart from my usual practice of not switching things off, when I do switch off, I have a master for my studio, and I just flick it off. My turn on routine is to check the master fader is fully off, and flick the switch. Annoyingly, from time to time, my Tascam interface un-connects and power cycling it reloads the driver - complete with a crack every time when I forget to turn the master down!

Back