What is the most essential knowledge I need?

Neutrino

I'm rather new into composing and would, naturally, like to get better. I would like to one day be able to create movie-like scores, soundtracks, game music, epic music and so forth - that kind of genre. I've read somewhere that it's essential to learn about orchestration and how things build up.
Do you have any suggestions to what I need to learn specific to this genre, or just composing in general? Figuring out the DAW is something I'm already working on, but any technical terms that are essential is also something I would need to look further into.

I'm rather new into composing and would, naturally, like to get better. I would like to one day be able to create movie-like scores, soundtracks, game music, epic music and so forth - that kind of genre. I've read somewhere that it's essential to learn about orchestration and how things build up.
Do you have any suggestions to what I need to learn specific to this genre, or just composing in general? Figuring out the DAW is something I'm already working on, but any technical terms that are essential is also something I would need to look further into.

Speaking purely as a lifelong lover of all genres of music and "observer" of someone who has at least some of the skills you mention, I would suggest some form of formal education in music theory.

You would need very good proficiency on at least one instrument and that should, in my view be piano. Listen to a wide range of musics and have the scores to hand as much as you can. If you can download stuff from the BBC look for their biopics of film composers and such deeply interesting programmes such as "The Arrangers" (Radio 3).

As well as conventional DAWs, Reaper, Cubase etc, you will need notation software such as Forte or the biggy, Sibelius. For film, Camtasia, Sony Vegas..

Dave.

That really sounds like an impossible question to answer. The most essential knowledge would be all of the knowledge there is to know that gives you the ability to be good at whatever it is you do. See, that sounds just as vague as the question. But it is also true.

The choice of DAW is only a slight percentage of what is involved in creating professional results in any recording. There is much more involved than just being able to record and make sounds.

Thank you for your replies. I know it's a bit vague, I was just looking for somewhere to start. You know, like a learning guide or curve, something like:
- Learn to read sheet music (of course, but now these are just examples)
- Learn the various instruments in orchestras, their families, characteristics, etc.
- Learn about harmony
- Learn about melody
- Get to know your DAW
- Learn about mastering in DAW
- Learn about automation in DAW
- Etc.

I can play the guitar and am currently learning to play the piano.

If you know about chords and modes/major/minor keys, that's a good start. Time signatures are also important but not critical to start off (you'll likely be most comfortable in 4/4 for a while anyway).

When you get competent at piano this will open some doors for you as well, since many virtual instruments you can use in the digital recording world are midi based and the easiest way for most to compose in midi is using a midi keyboard. I'm barely competent on piano (guitarist mostly) but manage to compose well enough just using one hand at time and recording each hand as a separate track. Many synth parts don't even require that much, if you're using sequencing presets, etc. On top of this, DAWs will come with a midi composer so you can manually write and edit midi compositions without even needing the midi keyboard/input device. Also worth noting you can compose drums using a midi keyboard as well. It takes a while and I find there's some musicians who are much better at doing this than others.

You'll need to spend some time learning your DAW. LOTS of time making mistakes and researching things you envision but don't yet know how to do. Then (and only then) comes the finer art of mixing and mastering.

Fundamental mixing concepts to learn IMO would be equalization and compression. It would also help to understand phase and the proper use of the stereo field (aka stereo imaging). You really only need to know as much as you need to accomplish whatever it is you're doing, so learn the basics and when you hit a wall, learn some more.

Thank you, that was some good advice! I will keep practicing, but it's always nice to know a bit about what I should practice before throwing myself headlong into it.

Thank you, that was some good advice! I will keep practicing, but it's always nice to know a bit about what I should practice before throwing myself headlong into it.

Do you know basic musical theory? Like how a group of chords fit into a key? And your basic modal scale shapes? If you want to create music that has any sort of orchestration, this is probably essential.

Back