What is micing?

junior

I'm seeing this term all of the time and I don't know what it means. Can someone break it down so it can forever be broken?

It refers to the selection, cabling and placement of a microphone(s) near a sound source you're trying to record.
Or to a dimensional measurement made with some kind of micrometer. :)

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 11-16-1999).]

MICING. ancient feline ritual where as one lies low to the ground near a small hole or rut. stealth is a must as the mice are keen to the slightest motion.
Later more modern adaptations made famous by Disney involved summer break collage students or starving mucicians to don a bulky flannel suit with enormose ears for the glee of bothersome tourists

There's another story, probably apocryphal, about how the term is actually a misspelling of a term from an early rock and roll band which had only one mic, but two vocalists. Trouble was, one of the singers was Russian, and when he wanted to know who was going to take the next vocal part, he'd ask: "My sing? Or your sing?" And 'my sing' eventually got bastardized into its present form... Well, that's what I heard.

Back