What equipment should I get

Novacane601

In my opinion, I have a pretty decent set up. I'm running pro tools 10 hd with 5 inch rocket monitors. Whenever I bounce my music down I burn it to cd and then go listen to it in my truck to see what changes I should make. This is a very tedious process. Is there any equipment, maybe some types of speakers to add so that I can get a good sound without having to take it to another source to edit?

What is your mixing room set up like? Do you have any acoustic treatment in the room? The KRK 5" speakers are not well-loved. I think.

I have the KRK 6" speakers and like them quite well. I wanted something that was reasonably accurate for mixing, but not so clinical that the sound is uninspiring for composition and tracking. The KRK seem a nice compromise between those goals for the price point.

For the OP, what exactly is the problem you are hearing when you listen in your truck? Too much bass perhaps? Whatever monitors you use, you're going to need to practice with them to get a feeling for how the mixes translate to other systems and environments where you music will be heard. By all means, try out your mixes in your car, on earbuds, on your home stereo and your friends' stereos, on a boombox, etc. It could be that a mix that sounds good on your monitors will sound too bassy, or too trebly on some other system. You learn to anticipate that and adjust. Burning CD's seems a cumbersome way to try out your mixes. Personally, I just convert my test mixes to mp3, copy them to my phone, and from there send them to an ipod, to my car stereo via bluetooth, etc.

What equipment should I get
The best possible monitoring chain you can get and as much broadband absorption as you can fit. Nothing else matters. Every single sonic decision you make is based on that. Bringing them into a car to make other decisions is -- well, I think we've all been there / done that -- But it's one version of bad acoustics to a completely different and unrelated version of bad acoustics. Does it help? Maybe. But if you get a better handle on your monitoring situation and your space, you (A) won't need the car and/or (B) the car will just be another confirmation.

Personally, I just convert my test mixes to mp3, copy them to my phone, and from there send them to an ipod, to my car stereo via bluetooth, etc.

This is what I do...way easier/faster than burning, what are they called...?...cd's? If you don't have bluetooth in your car, you could get one of those tape converters, or whatever they're called, assuming you at least have a tape deck.

In my opinion, I have a pretty decent set up. I'm running pro tools 10 hd with 5 inch rocket monitors. Whenever I bounce my music down I burn it to cd and then go listen to it in my truck to see what changes I should make. This is a very tedious process. Is there any equipment, maybe some types of speakers to add so that I can get a good sound without having to take it to another source to edit?

Before you do anything you need to do whatever you can to make your mixing space as accurate as possible. You haven't given any details on that. As Master has said.......those 5" KRK's are not well loved and the issues with them are written about all over the web. They color a lot of your sound in my opinion. How much tweaking do you find you have to do when you move your mixes from place to place? Is it a lot or a little? Is the issue mostly in the low end? If you are doing a lot of tweaking then you're actually using your truck speakers (or whatever) to do your mixing on........and not your KRK's................and think about that. Do you want to be mixing on your truck speakers? Let's find out about your space a bit. I wouldn't just add more speakers or a sub until I knew what the real problem was.

The best possible monitoring chain you can get and as much broadband absorption as you can fit. Nothing else matters. Every single sonic decision you make is based on that. Bringing them into a car to make other decisions is -- well, I think we've all been there / done that -- But it's one version of bad acoustics to a completely different and unrelated version of bad acoustics. Does it help? Maybe. But if you get a better handle on your monitoring situation and your space, you (A) won't need the car and/or (B) the car will just be another confirmation.

+1^100^100

Back