What to do with Roland VS2480

dusparker

Hey Everyone,

I have an almost new VS2480 DAW that I got for nothing. I was thinking about using it as a mixer for a program like Presonus Studio program. Has anyone out there

used a VS for this purpose. I think the A-D sound pretty good. I hate to dump it just because the software is limited.

Thanks,

dp

You can use it as a stand alone recorder and dump the tracks into a computer for mix down, but it is a process.

The 2480 does not record wav files that you can simply drag and drop to the computer. There is a conversion process, which takes time.

Also, if you have the version before it had usb, you will need to burn the tracks to cds in order to transfer them to the computer.

I used to do it all the time, because I had a few clients that used these to record at home but wanted me to mix. (Or I recorded the drums, dumped a submix to the 2480, they recorded the rest at home, then brought it back to mix)

It's a pretty tedious process, which is really only worth it if you need the portability. Otherwise, getting an interface will save so much time and hassle, if you are mixing in the computer anyway.

I don't have anything that fancy, but I'm just as inclined to analog dub to the DAW. I have two (8-track) that I like the converters on, and that's one reason I got them. I say experiment. There can be something you can use , or, switch in when needed. You may just tire of it : ) Mine are 44 & 44/48 era boat anchors, but I like the sound of them

Back