What are the best digital guitar sounds (midi) ??????

loulou

Hi all,

I have been playing the piano since I was 5. Lately, I have been releasing music covers and compositions using my digital piano (Yamaha CLP 535) . Sometimes I like to use a guitar sound in my music pieces so I wanted to ask you about your favourite digital guitar sound (Which software do you use when recording midi sounds)

Currently I am using the nylon guitar sound embedded in my digital piano. Here is a music cover of Despacito recorded using this sound:
https://www.facebook.com/baracataly/videos/1295293457246221/?hc_ref=ARSIoShRALNdPzfPxuaq3n6pkKXZk86_8-mhMtvGLJVpHpTCsTqeA0bVncc6b5g9QQA&pnref=story

All comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
P.S I am not sure if I am posting in the right thread so bare with me

With acoustic guitar, guitars and strings will sound different, so it is a matter of what you string up. With the hardware, a player adjusts the technique to sound one way, or, another.

I've been playing nylon since '65, but I do check out the samples I run across, and, I'd say it's whatever you make of them - do you have a guitar controller, etc..

Hi all,

I have been playing the piano since I was 5. Lately, I have been releasing music covers and compositions using my digital piano (Yamaha CLP 535) . Sometimes I like to use a guitar sound in my music pieces so I wanted to ask you about your favourite digital guitar sound (Which software do you use when recording midi sounds)
I don't have an answer to your question either, but I share your interest/search and (despite what a lot of guitar/music snobs will tell you) there are some good VSTi's out there. Do some online searches and see which grabs you......there are various videos on youtube, etc as well.

If you are earning money with your compositions why not employ the services of a guitarist?

I would bet for every brilliant pianist that started age 5 there are ten equally brilliant guitarists who did the same! Collaborate.

(I know a very good one, reads well, any genre, just got into classical, Bach etc. Unfortunately does not have any decent recording facilities at the moment!)

Dave.

With guitar voices (as Yamaha calls the different instrument sounds), the quality of the sample is certainly important, but playing technique can be even more important.

Try to play the chords with a rolling motion from left to right across the keys, the way a guitarist strums on the strings. Playing the notes of a chord all at the same time will sound more like a keyboard instrument than a guitar.

Try to stick to notes that are within the range of a guitar. Guitar voices can sound unrealistic if you play notes that are outside of the normal range.

Try to use chords that a guitarist would play. This can be tricky, because the specific notes and inversions of the chords could vary depending on which frets and fingering the guitarist is using, just as a keyboardist can play a chord in different octaves or with different inversions, etc.

If you're playing a melodic line, like a guitarist plucking strings, try to throw in a bit of pitch bending at appropriate moments.

With guitar voices (as Yamaha calls the different instrument sounds), the quality of the sample is certainly important, but playing technique can be even more important.

Try to play the chords with a rolling motion from left to right across the keys, the way a guitarist strums on the strings. Playing the notes of a chord all at the same time will sound more like a keyboard instrument than a guitar.

Try to stick to notes that are within the range of a guitar. Guitar voices can sound unrealistic if you play notes that are outside of the normal range.

Try to use chords that a guitarist would play. This can be tricky, because the specific notes and inversions of the chords could vary depending on which frets and fingering the guitarist is using, just as a keyboardist can play a chord in different octaves or with different inversions, etc.

If you're playing a melodic line, like a guitarist plucking strings, try to throw in a bit of pitch bending at appropriate moments.
Good stuff there. I would add to listen to some guitar work and try to copy it to help get a feel for how to "play a guitar" on a keyboard...over time you start to notice things, including those above.

Good stuff there. I would add to listen to some guitar work and try to copy it to help get a feel for how to "play a guitar" on a keyboard...over time you start to notice things, including those above.

Well, the most important thing to notice is what doesn't work. Also, try two keyboards or split one - you can off the tuning, etc..

Don't forget the smile at the end of the performance;
Agustin Barrios Mangore, "La Catedral- Preludio Saudade" - YouTube
Luigi Legnani, Capriccio n° 28 - YouTube

Last edited:
Back