weak or noisy signal recording guitar/bass

Sonic Flash

I tried a search, couldn't find what I was looking for.

I could use some help with the following:

For quite some time I've been trying to record (bass) guitar tracks thru the direct input on my interface. The problem is that I never get a good signal.

What I do:

Directly into the audio interface (M-Audio Mobilepre): I can't turn up the gain on the interface too much because it'll start clipping, so I reduce it until I'm safely in 'green' on the loudest tones. Problem: now the signal is very weak. I tried normalizing, but as this also amplifies the noise, it's hissing and buzzing like crazy: useless, even with a noise gate. And I haven't even used distortion or overdrive.

I know I can boost the signal with tools like compression, but IMO that shouldn't be used to patch up a signal to these extremes.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not expecting a perfect track without any form of production or patching, I just want a nice, clean direct signal to start working with.

I've had this problem on my current and my previous interface, so I'm guessing the problem isn't the interface.

I really wanna solve this problem, because I'll be recording vocals soon, and I'm afraid the quality of the mic signal will be this bad as well.

Any help is appreciated!

Are you sure your not plugged into a line input, rather than an instrument input? There may be a switch somewhere.

There are 2 jack inst/line inputs (it says "inst/line" at both inputs), and 2 XLR mic inputs, but there's no switch (except for phantom power).

What brand and model of bass are you using? If nothing else has this problem I'd start by looking at the bass itself. If it's active with a cheap onboard preamp that could be the problem. May even be as simple as a bad battery. That was the case with my Buzzard and it's noisy volume pot. Man did I feel like a schmeck when the guy at the repair shop I called stated flatly ' you did change the battery right?'.

I tried a search, couldn't find what I was looking for.

I could use some help with the following:

For quite some time I've been trying to record (bass) guitar tracks thru the direct input on my interface. The problem is that I never get a good signal.

What I do:

Directly into the audio interface (M-Audio Mobilepre): I can't turn up the gain on the interface too much because it'll start clipping, so I reduce it until I'm safely in 'green' on the loudest tones. Problem: now the signal is very weak. I tried normalizing, but as this also amplifies the noise, it's hissing and buzzing like crazy: useless, even with a noise gate. And I haven't even used distortion or overdrive.

I know I can boost the signal with tools like compression, but IMO that shouldn't be used to patch up a signal to these extremes.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not expecting a perfect track without any form of production or patching, I just want a nice, clean direct signal to start working with.

I've had this problem on my current and my previous interface, so I'm guessing the problem isn't the interface.

I really wanna solve this problem, because I'll be recording vocals soon, and I'm afraid the quality of the mic signal will be this bad as well.

Any help is appreciated!

Quick question(s);

Are you using M-Aud USB or the 2nd generation & what O/S are you using?

Ar

Thanks for all input so far!

Though, I don't see a sollution on page 10 (or any page for that matter), or am I missing something?

If I'm correct they combined the line and inst. input, which would leave this problem with any instrument-level instrument right?

An idea:
If I wanna record directly, would it be a sollution to get a DI involved and use one of the XLR/mic inputs for recording bass and guitar? Or will that create new problems?

Sorry I meant page 19, but I read it wrong anyway. Cant think of anything else.

It sounds like the units preamps just arent cutting it. If the DI has a preamp it might help, if not your just using the XLR connector through the same pre-amps. Can you borrow a pre-amp and see if that helps. Run the Preamp out into the line/input on the m-audio.

But a regular DI will create a balanced signal, thus adding 6 dB to the signal, right?

What type of preamp would you recommend? Can you give an example?

Back