Which way to go - when mixing-pc or hardware console ? A purist approach...

mikeit

Well guys these is my 1st one in here after following these forum for some time and what a forum we have in here!!!! Congratulations!

Well to start i need to say i am a completely newbie in terms of recording....not at all...i mean...know some basics....but now i plan to know more....and use it!

I am a computer geed:eek: and also a music addicted (worse than geek!!!):eek::eek:
As i can tell from what i know from computers i plan to know the same on recording...and music from the inside.....

So after reading a lot....and reading again and today and planning to read more...i still have my doubts!

Planning to play myself for my own band (me mylself and i) i like to know what suits better for me...before any purchase!!!

I wanna try and try and try so experimenting is the way i plan to go before i do anyhting...

I am not $$$$ rich....as anyone in here...:D so all my money as to be well spend....i mean i have to know what i will buy.....very well to make it worth the money!!!! and in the end i dont wanna spend a fortune....so sort speak i have to buy something just to start....then who knows....better might come in the future...

But then comes my other thinking....i guess that using some sort of in the middle solution between a pc and a mixing console....(since i havent never record it on a hardware console....) would be a nice one....or in last, just recording/mixing in the hardware console.....would be better....
Lets get to the main goal of this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I plan to play an instrument at a time....just have 2 hands....:D so no way to play more than 1....but will need more than one microphone....

Also i am some kind of a music purist....i mean i wanna have total control on what my sound comes in the end...dont like too much out of control.....i wanna know what i am doing and not leave it to the machine...

I really wanna some hardware with the basics and dont need to have more than that....for example...when recording a electric guitar i would like always to record whit/without effects (at the same time) to compare and see what i get..thats my way of working...i mean...its an hobby....:p

My question is......since i really wanna have total control.....what kind of recording/mixing hardware should i have for this rig:

- electric and acoustic guitars
- keyboard
- modelling guitar processor
- guitar amp (combo)
- some mics... (some dynamics for now....some cheaper....ones to experiment before buying the great one....)

- bass guitar and drum kit (some ideas to buy in the future....but not now!)

What i need to know is that which solution sounds better for who likes to have total control on the sound....i mean....if i plan to record on my pc...using as a multitracking machine will i have the same quality as on an hardware console....ok i know its possible but i am aware that spending $$$ for a good soundcard isnt a good choice....in my opinion..since i guess there are more hardware consoles in there than ultimate soundcards and after all soundcards were born long after the real consoles...werent they??!?

Well guys these is my 1st one in here after following these forum for some time and what a forum we have in here!!!! Congratulations!

Well to start i need to say i am a completely newbie in terms of recording....not at all...i mean...know some basics....but now i plan to know more....and use it!

I am a computer geed:eek: and also a music addicted (worse than geek!!!):eek::eek:
As i can tell from what i know from computers i plan to know the same on recording...and music from the inside.....

So after reading a lot....and reading again and today and planning to read more...i still have my doubts!

Planning to play myself for my own band (me mylself and i) i like to know what suits better for me...before any purchase!!!

I wanna try and try and try so experimenting is the way i plan to go before i do anyhting...

I am not $$$$ rich....as anyone in here...:D so all my money as to be well spend....i mean i have to know what i will buy.....very well to make it worth the money!!!! and in the end i dont wanna spend a fortune....so sort speak i have to buy something just to start....then who knows....better might come in the future...

But then comes my other thinking....i guess that using some sort of in the middle solution between a pc and a mixing console....(since i havent never record it on a hardware console....) would be a nice one....or in last, just recording/mixing in the hardware console.....would be better....
Lets get to the main goal of this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I plan to play an instrument at a time....just have 2 hands....:D so no way to play more than 1....but will need more than one microphone....

Also i am some kind of a music purist....i mean i wanna have total control on what my sound comes in the end...dont like too much out of control.....i wanna know what i am doing and not leave it to the machine...

I really wanna some hardware with the basics and dont need to have more than that....for example...when recording a electric guitar i would like always to record whit/without effects (at the same time) to compare and see what i get..thats my way of working...i mean...its an hobby....:p

My question is......since i really wanna have total control.....what kind of recording/mixing hardware should i have for this rig:

- electric and acoustic guitars
- keyboard
- modelling guitar processor
- guitar amp (combo)
- some mics... (some dynamics for now....some cheaper....ones to experiment before buying the great one....)

- bass guitar and drum kit (some ideas to buy in the future....but not now!)

What i need to know is that which solution sounds better for who likes to have total control on the sound....i mean....if i plan to record on my pc...using as a multitracking machine will i have the same quality as on an hardware console....ok i know its possible but i am aware that spending $$$ for a good soundcard isnt a good choice....in my opinion..since i guess there are more hardware consoles in there than ultimate soundcards and after all soundcards were born long after the real consoles...werent they??!?

Wow! What's the question again?

The more important aspect to your question is the fact that you are only recording one instrument at a time and not a full band. I would go with a simple 1 or 2 (for stereo recording) computer interface with MIDI capabilities. That's probably the standard "entry level" interface from most hardware manufacturers.

Check this link...

http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm

I think rig #1 would suit your needs just fine.

Back