Want To Start Recording Vocals!

Creepy Crawlies

Hello, I would like to start recording vocals at home however I am a newbie hence why I'm posting here. I have been looking at the following products;

Microphone: Rode NT2-A
Audio Interface: Roland UA-55

Here are my questions:

1) Are these two products decent for home recording?
2) Do these two work well togeather?
3) Other than a Laptop am I missing any other equipment I would need to start recording at home?

Thanks in Advance,
Creepy Crawlies.

Both are respectable pieces of equipment.

Once you have a laptop (or desktop), you'e installed a recording application, and yo have the assorted leads and stands, you are set to go.

You will be able to record something and play it back.

It may not sound all that good, so you may need to think about other things like decent speakers to connect to the Roland for monitoring, and about making sure your recording space is acoustically friendly.

Both are respectable pieces of equipment.

Once you have a laptop (or desktop), you'e installed a recording application, and yo have the assorted leads and stands, you are set to go.

You will be able to record something and play it back.

It may not sound all that good, so you may need to think about other things like decent speakers to connect to the Roland for monitoring, and about making sure your recording space is acoustically friendly.

Would I be better off with the Avid Fast Track Solo which comes with Pro Tools Express?

Have you had any experience with any DAW? There are several different "lite" versions available from several different interfaces. There are also some that are free to download google, "Traverso", "Darkwave", "Audacity", and of course, the all time favorite on this site, "Reaper". I know the world of professional music seems to revolve around ProTools, but there are many fine DAWs out there that do the same job.
Check theAudio Interface Comparison Chart which shows most major interfaces and lists the DAW version (if any) that they come with along with in/out/SPDIF/ADAT/etc. information in an easy to read format. There are many highly recommended interfaces and DAWs out there, so get plenty of info before deciding on one.
Also, there is a lot of useful information contained in Arcadeco's Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording article and it's subsequent responses.

All vocals on my album were recorded with a Rode NT2.... it's fine. The journey is in learning what to do with it.

My friend has an NT2A and a UA101 and it has been dependable and has good quality. Can't go wrong with them.

Back