WA76 / WA-2A questions

kakashix

hey folks,

i have a few questions about these hardware compressors:
Warm Audio WA76 / WA-2A

i hope u can help me out

let me start.

1. are both mentioned compressor mono compressors? or is 1 of them stereo or can be used as a stereo compressor?

2. does it make sense to use 2 hardware compressors? like a combo of WA76 and WA-2A? Does it make sense?

3. how would you approach this, using the first hardware compressor while recording and the second one as an insert in ur daw?

thats all for now, I would be very grateful for your willingness to help me

Free bump. Interested in how to use these 2 gears too. I have them as well connected in series (76 first then LA) but it seems my voice got too thin. Got to play around more with adjusting. I'm just a casual noob. NOt a musician at all.

The Wa-2A has a stereo link jack, so you could operate 2 of them in stereo mode. The WA76 does not have any stereo link, so it could only be operated in mono or dual mono mode.

The good thing about stereo link is that when 2 units are linked, if one clamps down, so does the other one. This prevents your stereo image from jumping from side to side if one side clamps down and the other doesn't. That can sound odd to the listener.

At least that's how I understand it.

But to actually answer your questions:

1. are both mentioned compressor mono compressors? or is 1 of them stereo or can be used as a stereo compressor?

They are both mono compressors. The WA-2A can be paired with a 2nd WA-2A and stereo linked. Feed the left channel into one compressor and the right channel into the other, set the dials to the same positions on both, and you're set.

2. does it make sense to use 2 hardware compressors? like a combo of WA76 and WA-2A? Does it make sense?

That's a very common thing. Feed one compressor directly into the next. The first compressor would be set to quickly react only to the biggest peaks, and the 2nd compressor would act more to level out the overall signal.

3. how would you approach this, using the first hardware compressor while recording and the second one as an insert in ur daw?

The first one is simple, just plug it in inline between your preamp and a line input on your interface. Using hardware as an insert in your DAW is a little more complicated. I do this all the time though, and fortunately for me, Reaper makes it easy with ReaInsert. There's probably similar functionality in whatever DAW you use, you'll have to hunt around. ReaInsert is a VST effect that you can place just like any other insert VST. Then it lets you select which outputs to send on, and which inputs to return on. In the absence of any VST like that, you'll have to explore the routing options on your DAW and figure out how to send and receive on hardware inputs/outputs.

I don't have a WA76 or a WA2A, however compressor settings are very dependent on how the vocals were sung, the type of music it is, and how it actually sounds in the mix. Giving settings is impossible.

To elaborate on my comment about limiter first, have 2 compressors, the first one set to a high ratio 1:8 or even 1:10, set the attack fast and the release fast. Then wind up the compressor so that only the absolute loudest peaks are effected. The second compressor set between 1:2 - 1:2 and slightly slower attack and slower release and let this compressor ride with the vocal.

This set up works really well with very peaky vocals when trying to sit it in the mix.

Alan.

But to actually answer your questions:

That's a very common thing. Feed one compressor directly into the next. The first compressor would be set to quickly react only to the biggest peaks, and the 2nd compressor would act more to level out the overall signal.

thanks very much for that point!

so in other words, i can connect my mic to an mic preamp, mic preamp to by wa76, my wa76 to my wa-2a and this again in my audiointerface?

i thought u could only use 1 compressor while tracking and use the other comp as an hardware insert in ur DAW

I would not use my method when tracking, only during mixing. I tend not to track with compression on vocals unless it's a real problem vocal.

However, if I did it would be the way you describe.

Alan.

Back