Which VST?

Oscar Myer

Greetings one and all...

I'm wondering if someone could recommend a quality reverb, chorus and compressor VST plugins? I've tried a few free ones but really wasn't impressed. I'd rather pay for something with true quality. I'll be using them primarily in Sonar.

Thanks in advance

Bobby

ReaVerb is actually quite good (and free), as long as you use IR files with it. Let us know if you need some.

As I'm totally new to this plugin thing, please bare with me at my lack of knowledge. I really don't know what IR files are. And for sure I'd like to see some... especially if they're free!!! :)

Bobby

Bobby - IR files are the 'room' images used by the plug-in. In Reaverb, you select them from within the plug in. If you have ReaVerb, I can upload the IR folder to Dropbox. Without the IR files, ReaVerb doesn't sound like anything good!

What is your budget?

After years of experimenting, I have found my go-to with Waves H-Reverb, Soundtoys Microshift, and Waves API 2500.

Also Fabfilter Pro-L and Pro-Q are staples for me. Just putting them out there. Will be buying the Fabfilter Pro-C soon.

Wow!!! I really didn't think that there'd be so many comebacks recommending free VSTs to try out. Perhaps I should do exactly that before putting out money out on others. But I have kept tabs on the "pay for" others as well.

Thanks so much for the replies... very much appreciated!!!

Bobby

Wow!!! I really didn't think that there'd be so many comebacks recommending free VSTs to try out. Perhaps I should do exactly that before putting out money out on others. But I have kept tabs on the "pay for" others as well.

Thanks so much for the replies... very much appreciated!!!

Bobby

It is always best to try out plugs before you invest in them. There are many free aftermarket options, and the ones that come with the software that may just work fine.

There will come a time that you will understand why you need to invest in better plugs. That comes with the experience and time working with what you have. I wouldn't throw money at anything unless you truly know why you are doing so.

Cheers Bobby!

For reverb there really is only one must-have, which obviously is Altiverb.
If not convoluted, then Slate Verbsuite is quite nice.

i have a bunch of W aves plugins and they're nice. But now they want me to pay to keep playing. Not gonna happen

They only make you pay for support and updates as far as I know. If the plugs you use work for you, then screw that BS. I am not paying for updates myself. The few I use are 64-bit and work fine the way they are. Until they don't...

Back