vocals in mono too quiet and muffled, any help?

Ok, think i'm just getting confused now.

Can you try and explain what you mean when you say plug line 1 into line 2?

vocal help5.jpg

Ive tried plugging everything in and out every which way but no results.

As for the audacity thing. Ive explained that I did manage to get a recording onto the right channel but the quality was bad. It sounded like I was singing in a box and I could hear a lot of room ambience that i never got before.

Ive compared it with old recordings I made before the problem and it sounds hugely different.

Anyway, Ive sent an email to the lexicon guys just to see if they have any ideas. Cant hurt. :-)

oh and just to clarify, Im just showing you the different cables I have. I dont have all these plugged in at the same time. :-)

TBH I don't even think it'll work anyway.
I don't think the input signal will passthrough to line outputs, but i duno for sure.

Can you post a clip of before and after?

I forget but did you say this was a new setup? Are you in a new room?
Was the pop filter always so far away from the mic?

EDIT.
When you're recording that digital piano, don't use a headphone output and don't go to instrument input.
Look for line outputs on the piano and plug them into line input of lexicon.

If the piano has no line outputs then headphone will have to do with the volume turned down, but definitely don't plug that into instrument in. It'll be far too hot.

Last edited:
but back to the OT - I would solve this problem with a hammer - first I would beat the Lexicon Omega Confibulator to a bloody pulp, then I would jump in the computer ala tron and beat the hell out of audacity - then I would break a few other things just for good measure - HTH

Ah.... good to see another fan of "Percussive Maintenance"...

Also.....sorry, just though Id also add that my piano is recording beautifully on both stereo and mono channels. Don't know if that changes anything.
vocal help6.jpg

Leena, I wouldn't call that beautiful. What do you have plugged in there; It's all over the place?

Do you get that whatever's in the top half is coming from input one (inst or line),
and whatever's on the bottom is coming from input two (mic or line)?

Give me a hammer and a pint of vodka...I'll happily go mental!!

Totally sick to death of this now, haha

Give me a hammer and a pint of vodka...I'll happily go mental!!

Totally sick to death of this now, haha

That is the attitude I like to hear! Unless it is directed at me.....

I must say, I have had previous experience with the Alpha. It definitely had input level issues from the get go. It worked as a cheap starter interface, but it is truly not worth your time trying to make it work for anything of meaning. Out of curiosity, if you purchased it new in the last year, it came with Cubase LE5. Previously LE4. Why are you trying to use Audacity. The name kinda sums up it's ability to be friendly don't it?

That looks fair enough, but look at the recording.

The right channel is so much louder than the left, so it's all going to be off balance.

I guess your two gain knobs aren't set equally?

Earlier you said you can do mono recordings now but they sound weak/roomy.
Can you post an mp3 of that?

Who produced your old recordings. Did you do them?

Back