vocals in mono too quiet and muffled, any help?

Well leena, It might not be a bad idea, but I honestly don't think anything's wrong at all.

If there's a slight quality difference to your previous recordings, I reckon it's gona be down to the sound of the room your in, or your distance from the mic, but that mic/preamp combo is certainly working as it should be.

It's only recording on the bottom line because the top line is 'input one' on your interface which has nothing plugged into it.

Your mic is a mono source so the way everything's working is correct. That's how it should be.

Mine's a guinness btw. :) Cheers.

Steenamaroo's summary sounds good, and I get now why it's on the bottom line - it's just a difference between your interface and mine. :facepalm: But the pic with the skewed levels is still puzzling. As he suggests, you probably have the knobs set out of whack. The left knob on the front controls the top line and the right knob the bottom one when you have a stereo signal from your piano, so you really want them more even.

If you're just recording the mic then Knob 2 is the one. It's hard to know what's going on when you can't see it, but presumably you are doing the two things separately - playing then singing? Some interfaces will allow you to do both at the same time, but apparently not yours. As soon as you plug one of the piano leads into input 2 on the back it should disable the mic. I was wondering if there was some kind of fault with Channel 2 then you could be getting both instead of either one or the other (i.e. mic input still bleeding in when you're playing).

There still seems to be the mystery of why the vocals seemed to change, and how you were getting them on both sides of a stereo track:

When I used to record my vocals I always remember seeing two tracks, one on top of the other. Now for some reason I only get one and the sound is very different.

I guess I just need to find out why its only recording on the bottom line . . . It never used to do that.

69207d1326240040-vocals-mono-too-quiet-muffled-any-help-vocal-help6-jpg

Good luck at Allan's (is that Billy Hyde's now where you are?)

Cheers,

Chris

Hi guys,

Just thought Id let you know that its all working fine now. Still dont really know what the problem was but after plugging it in to my laptop and then plugging it back into the computer it just sorted itself out....I know....spooky right?

I just wanted to thank you all for your time and effort. Your all really sweet for helping me out and I really appreciate it.

Just recorded and filmed a new song

Me performing "Edge of Night" from "Lord of the rings" - YouTube

As you can see everything is working fine. :-)

Thanks again!!! I owe you all a pint

That's cool. Glad you got sorted.
I'll give the track a listen later when I'm at speakers.

So what's it doing different now that it wasn't doing before?
Might help someone later down the line.

Hi guys,

Just thought Id let you know that its all working fine now. Still dont really know what the problem was but after plugging it in to my laptop and then plugging it back into the computer it just sorted itself out....I know....spooky right?

Good that it's working and the gremlins have decided to retreat.

Does this mean that you are now getting vocals on both lines now - top and bottom - as you told us that you were getting before? Or did that turn out to be a mixed up memory that was really about the piano tracks?

When I used to record my vocals I always remember seeing two tracks, one on top of the other. Now for some reason I only get one and the sound is very different.

I guess I just need to find out why its only recording on the bottom line . . . It never used to do that.

Back