vocal mixing

rvpgoal

hello there, everyone. I have always wanted to get involved with recording my own songs that are constantly runnng through my head. I have recently joined an acapella men's gospel group and want to get information on what do I need in order for me to record, let's say, a 4 part harmaony track. What do I need to do? What kind of equipment should a newbie like me look for? What kind of research do I need to do? Right now I am only interested in a vocal system of some kind. I don't play any instruments. Any suggestions?

AC

hey quite exciting ...

besides the obvious recorder (either hardware or software) you'll need to look into getting the best vocal microphone and microphone preamplifier, you can lay your hands on. Is there a budget ?

hang around, the guys here will be good to you with information.

You should probably start out with a decent analog 4-track recorder and a good quality condenser microphone or two and a preamp. The only other things you might need for recording vocals is a reverb or vocal effect unit and a metronome for timing. Look for brand names like Tascam, Fostex, Yamaha, or Sony for a 4-track. There's dozens of brands of microphones... look for names like Shure, AKG, Sennheiser, and Audio-Technica. These mics should be in your price range. You can also try using a small mixer and a cassette deck with a couple of mics if your budget is limited. How much do you want to spend and what kind of quality do you expect?

[This message has been edited by Buck62 (edited 12-12-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Buck62 (edited 12-12-1999).]

Phew, you guys have given me an eyeful. I am not familiar with any of the terms that you have mentioned. I have heard of tascam before, but don't know much about it. I am hearing about pre-amps, mixers, different mics...whoah. I do want to start with an economy package deal that maybe I can upgrade on later. What should I look for first? The 4, 8, or 16 track mixer? Look for the mics and then choose a system? I am not even sure of how big a system that i need to record vocals. the least I need is something where I can record a 4 part harmony on. I hear people people who record over and over again on only 2 tracks and save the other two for more stuff. I don't understand why, but will all I need is just a 4 track system or will I need more tracks? thanks again guys.

AC

Back