Vintage reel to reel!

BlueGalaxie500

I'm new here and I wasn't sure where to ask this question. I just got a Panasonic Solid State 4-track reel to reel recorder system. I believe it is 1/4" and takes 5" reels. The model number is RQ-194S. It is very compact, like the size of a small briefcase. In fact it is a black briefcase when it is closed. I haven't tried it out yet. I powered it on and ran a drum machine threw it and it produced sound out of the speaker when I pressed record and play. So I assume it will work. I have the brand new reels, but I am waiting on the take up reels I ordered so I don't have to waste one of the new ones. I just can't find any information on this reel to reel. I am sure it will produce some kind of vintage quality sound recordings. Compared to other ones I have seen on ebay and the rest of the net, the one I have is very unique. I just want to know if anyone has heard of this 4-track or knows anything about it.
Anyway I have pics if anyone wants to see what it looks like. Thanks

Welcome to HRC Analog.

And may I be the first to congratulate you on your excellent choice of user name :D

Great band :)

BTW. Are you sure what you have is a four track? I suspect it's more likely to be a quarter track machine.

Vintage 4-track (Panasonic)

Hey there!
Thanks for the compliment. I have a blue Ford galaxie 500. That's why I chose the name. Numerous accounts call for something I can remember easily. I haven't heard of the band, but I will look into it. Definitely interested in hearing different types of music. Anyways, I am certain that it is a four track recorder only because it says, 4-track recording system. It also has 2 switches numbered 1-4 and under that one 2-3. Also 2 volume knobs. It also shows you how to switch from track to track on an instruction sticker inside of the briefcase. One of the switches on it says easymatic. I have an idea how to work it, I just need the empty reels for it to work. Actually one empty reel. I have six blank reel tapes. One of them is an old radioshack tape that came with it. The other five I bought off of ebay, and they are made in Germany. (must be high quality because of the meticulous packaging) Plastic case like a cartridge, and the reel is in its own plastic case. Anyways it is in pretty good condition. One dent in one of the locks. Plastic is in shiny condition. The cotton looking pieces inside where the heads are look a bit dirty and I'm afraid that it might effect the quality, but I won't know for sure until I test it. At first I thought it was only a two track because of the 2 switches. But the way it works I think is, Record one track with volume up on 1-4, down on 2-3, turn down track 1-4 and turn volume up on 2-3 and so on for 4 tracks or something like that if it makes any sense. There are only two knobs for volume so it is very prehistoric. Most definitely a piece of Vintage gear I hope will function. Anyways if you find out anymore about it let me know. I am stumped for now, the net only offers dead end info.
Peace out.

Fine! So, let's go with the pics!

Not quite sure what you have, there, but it sounds really archaic.

... & Welcome!

;)

Dude, easy there reel person, the post I put up was a reply to another member. Don't act so annoyed. I'm new here, just thought I'd tell a bit about it. I will put picks up soon. I don't know if you can put picks up on a post. When I figure out how to put pics I will.
Peace out.

Dude I know what archaic means, when he put "Fine!,So lets see the pics" he gave me the impression that he is annoyed, but my mistake. Yes I know it is outdated, old, but vintage gear has better sound quality in some cases. Maybe not for some types of recordings, but for the most part it can. Anyways I have an old VHS camera that takes a few minutes to warm up right, so I'll have the pics up in a bit. yeah a VHS I run into my computer to take pics, hey it works. When you don't have a whole lot of funds, you be suprised what you can make work.

Vintage reel to reel PICS!

Hey there you all! Here are the pics of the reel to reel I've been talking about. I took quite a few so details can be seen. The pics aren't that great because I am using a VHS recorder to upload them.

Attachments

• Recorder 2.jpg
    Recorder 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 551
  • Recorder 7.jpg
    Recorder 7.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 538
  • Recorder 8.jpg
    Recorder 8.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 538
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 529
  • Recorder 6.jpg
    Recorder 6.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 532
More reel to reel PICS

Here are the rest of the pics. Here is some pics of my guitar also.

Attachments

• Recorder 9.jpg
    Recorder 9.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 515
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 508
  • 08-05-04_1104.jpg
    08-05-04_1104.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 08-05-04_11455.jpg
    08-05-04_11455.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 505
Not sure if you'll get 4-tracks with "simul-sync" capability,...

the way you think you will,... but this bears out some experimentation.

I think,... [MO],... that you'll get 4- "tracks" in "stereo", with an "A" and "B" side to the tape,... (record & playback only 2-tracks simultaneously), possibly with "sound-on-sound" "overdub" function. Also known as "4-track/Stereo",... would be my best guess, based on what I know of comparable vintage units.

(Sorry for all the "quotes", but I used "" to try to emphasize some distinction in these terms).

It may not record, overdub & play back 4-tracks simultaneously, like your first assumption may lead you to believe,... but it bears out some T & E on your part. I'd love to be proven wrong.

A sharp, close up pic of the record function instructions would help further, in determining how much capability this unit has.

Thank you for the nice pics, though,... & it's certainly an interesting little unit! A picture is still worth a thousand words! Good luck with it, for sure!

If you want to go "all the way with" self-contained reel-4-track recorders, may I suggest looking up the Tascam 34B? If you're hip to cassette, might I suggest the Tascam 234, or practically any other genuine Tascam Portastudio ever made? That's real 4-trackin'!

I like your screen name, too. My high school sweetheart had a Blue Galaxy 500. (Aaaaawww!) It is memorable, I'll give you that. I'd surely rather drive one, than be hit by one! (Heh).

Thanx again!!

;)

You know you could be right.

You know you could be right. The instructions cut off after explaining how to record the second track. It talks about A and B, not sure if its talking about the volume. If indeed it were a four track, I thought maybe it would explain how to record all four tracks instead of just two. It does have a switch which say sound on sound,(on or off), then a three way switch which says, Sound monitor-Off-Easymatic. I am going with your guess because of the fact the end of the instructions, it says, Playback of both recordings and then shows you how. I would think it would continue to track 3 and 4, but with your guess, flip the reel over and record two other tracks. Maybe there won't be simultaneous play of 4 tracks, just two on each side. I hope this guess is wrong, but when I get the take up reels I will know for sure. I have a Tascam Porta 03 for recording, I just picked up this reel to reel on instinct. My recordings are decent with the Porta 03, just for quality sounding ideas and for the most part it does what I'd expect it to do.
Thanks for the info, I wouldn't have noticed what you did.

Ah yes,...

a 4-track/Stereo format, with Sound-on-Sound, & A/B sides of the tape.
Your further description pretty much nails that one down!

You do have a Portastudio, an 03, so I'd still recommend the possibility of the Tascam 34B, 234 or almost any other genuine Tascam Portastudio, as an upgrade. Not to say the 03 is a bad unit, but it was pretty much bottom of the line. Find the 244, 246, 464, 644, & 424mkII/III as much nicer Portastudio units.

Thanx, & good luck!

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the useful information about the Tascam models. I am in no hurry to pick up an uprgrade. Most of the more expensive 4-tracks made by Tascam have a type of mixer. I like the porta 03 because it is simplified. I haven't really got into mixing yet. Also when funds are low most of the time it's not easy to upgrade. When I do decide to buy, what is your opinion on the Tascam 644 as opposed to other models. Is midi the only way to work the 644. Also would it be better to spend money on a mixer board to use with the recordings I have with the 03, or simply upgrade to a different model. Thanks

The Tascam 644 Portastudio...

is the most high-techy 4-track Portastudio out there, with built-in Midi-sync and lots of locate functions. Midi is NOT the only way to work with the 644, but it's an added capability, if you're into Midi, which many people are. The "sync" part of that statement, is that the 644 may be synchronized with other "sync" capable units, expanding your tracking possibilities,... all as a built-in feature. (Usually a synchronizer is an added-on acessory).

The 644 is a little harder to find on Ebay as a near-mint unit, but will occasionally be found as such. I saw a "never used", "in-box" 644 sell for $195/Buy-It-Now, and I was VERY interested in buying it, but did not,... in the end. I figured, I have so many other 4-track Portastudios that are not getting regular use, that the 644 might be added inventory that doesn't get used,... in my particular case. However, I REALLY wish I had bought that unit, right up,... now, as an afterthought. Anyway, another near-mint 644 might sell on Ebay, some day, and when it does, I'll be watching.

The best features of the 644 are it's 10 channel mixer, 4-track simultaneous record capability, and built-in Midi-sync. Otherwise, it should be compatible with your 03's tapes, and most other Tascam Portastudio's 4-track master tapes.

The downside of the 644, I suppose, is that it's SO complex, that the user's manual is an absolute necessity, to get the settings set properly, to get the most utility out of the machine,... with it's "snapshot scene memory",... where the more "low-tech" Portastudios are easy to set up and use on "intuition" alone.

From an outsider's perspective, not having a 644 myself, I think it's a fine unit.

Last edited:

I just saw a Tascam 644 on ebay that was $150 buy it now. It looked pretty decent, but you never know. My Porta 03 looked decent and when I got it the headphone volume was broke. It doesn't effect my recording all that much but it still sucks. I still think I should have bought the 644 though because I believe it was a decent price. Anyways, thanks

I'd rather see pics of your Galaxy!;)

I had a white Fairlane 500 I sold a couple years ago and mess around with various early model mustangs, torinos, and the like.

H2H

Well.......that's great.

My Galaxie isn't even a 2 door like most would expect, it is a 4 door. It is rare because it is nearly mint. I bought it for $300, no motor or trans. Got a backyard mechanic that will slap an engine and trans in for $500 including the price of engine and trans. Since I prefer a manual trans, rather than the cruise-a-matic, it will cost me a bit more. This sight is supposed to be about recording, but since you mentioned the Galaxie, there you have it. I could put pics on here of it, maybe I will, being that you would rather see pics of that as opposed to the reel to reel. Have to wait till tommorow though because it is dark right now. I also had a Fairlane 500 that was also a 4-door, but it was a greenish, blue. Well still haven't tried out the reel to reel, but when I do I will post the info of the results.

A Reel Person said:
.From an outsider's perspective, not having a 644 myself, I think it's a fine unit.

I spent the late 80's/early 90's working in 16 and 24 track studios, then going home and recording my own stuff and my friends stuff on a 644. I know the thing inside and out, and I can vouch for it's being a fine unit. When I play back the DAT's and CD's made during that period I actually prefer the sound of the 644 to 24 track MCI machines costing many times as much. I replaced it (finally) a few years ago with an AW16g and am just now starting to find the tricks to pull the warmth of the 644 out of the AW16g.

I will most likely try to find a 644.

Thanks for the info, scientist. I will try to get a 644. What is the deal with a mint porta 1? It seems more people would rather get this 4-track than a 644.
Thanks

A truly mint Porta One has it's own charm,...

but Ebay is funny like that, sometimes. You'll see some fine equipment bid for low dollar, and then comes a lesser piece of equipment that sells for twice that amount.

Check this 464, which is similar to the 644 in overall capability, less the MIDI portion,... but if the price is right, this can be a terrific recorder. /DA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3747108119

At it's present bid amount, ($82), it's a steal. In fact, never mind, I might bid on this, myself!!

Back